Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Off season painting

luvstocraft
15 years ago

I found a package of hearts at the TS at a bargain price. Decided I'd better go ahead and paint them because it seems when I stash things away for later--they never get painted!

I had also experimented with some spoons also found at the TS. I have a few more that I will play with soon.

Anyway, thought you might enjoy seeing them. Luvs

Comments (13)

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

So cool. I'd love to put a magnet on the back of a heart and put on my frige. The beads top them off. The spoons are darling too. What a great idea with the pink santas. I may try a pink santa too someday. Nice change from the traditional red.

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Luvs!! Oh my gosh! They look so good! I love the Santa spoons in pink! And the hearts are too cute. Phonegirl has it right, those beads and the mica flakes make them perfect. So glad you got them posted! Very very pretty!
    I don't know how hard it would be, but a little added fun thing on the spoons that I just thought of would be to somehow drill a tiny hole in the handle where the "hat" part bends down and add a little pink glass bead with a jump ring so it dangles. I've heard those spoons are pretty hard to bend so maybe they'd be hard to drill too, but wouldn't that be cute! I'm still looking for some to do too, but they never have them at our TS. Still want to do a couple of little Santa paintbrushes too.
    Great job Luvs! =) ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Phonegirl. These might be a little large for a magnet but smaller ones would certainly work. I painted these on both sides in case I decided to add a loop for hanging. Or I may just stack them in a bowl or use them on some stacked plates for a centerpiece. (If you haven't seen stacked plates, several of us do them on the Holiday forum to use as centerpieces.)

Anj, These hearts went really fast! Made me feel like I got something accomplished. I just knew that if I left them for later, I'd never get back to them. I love the glitter.

The spoons are a bit challenging. I ruined anther spoon trying to bend it. It was not a solid piece like these, more in sections, and it wouldn't bend "round" just more "square". These were really hard to bend too--ended up having to put them in the vice grip and using all my strength--just a hammer over a dowel did not work at all. I was thinking that I should have painted a rose bud or something on the tip, but I love your idea of a dangly bead. I'll have to see if I can drill a hole in one.

I was lucky to have spotted these spoons, my TS has lots of knives, but very few forks or spoons. Guess all the crafters grab those up quickly.

I've seen pics of the Santa paintbrushes, always thought they would make good ornaments for the guys at an ornament exchange. The bristles are just perfect for the beard! Hope you get your's done this Christmas.

Luvs

• anjabee
    15 years ago

I know that you are a big fan of pink. What are your favorite shades? I only have 3 pinks in my paint collection, Fuschia - Bright Magenta - and Rose Pink. Which ones do you use for your pretty projects? ~Anj

• kraftylady23
    15 years ago

Luvs,
    I love these and the spoons are adorable. If you don't mind I would like to try and paint your santas. I don't know how you bend the spoons I just don't have the strength so my husband will do them for me. But he can't get them into a nice round circle either. Please check the conversation board as I answered your question. Beautiful work.
    Donna

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anj, I like just about all pinks. The ones I use most are Folkart Berry Wine, Baby Pink, Rose Pink, and Sheer Blossom and a long time favorite has been Delta Ceramcoat Bouquet. For the One Stroke pink rose, I usually use the Berry Wine and White double loaded on the brush. Wanna hear something funny? I just had to try to paint these pink Santas--but just this past year I switched all of my main Christmas decorations back to RED! LOL

Kraftylady, I am still not over how impressed and amazed I was at what a simple but wonderful and practical way you had for storing your paints. I paid waaay too much for the wall storage piece I bought from Canvas Collectibles and while it "looks" impressive on the wall, I don't find it practical at all! I'm thinking that I'm going to have to move the storage bin/drawer things I have at the back of my counter and fix myself a paint bin similar to yours! ;o)

I can't take credit for the pink Santa's. I actually saw them on a blog and decided that I had to try to do some of my own. Mine are nowhere near as good as the blogger's were. I have some larger spoons I'm going to try on again. Sometimes it takes me a few trys to "get it right". I'll post the blog for you, I just drool over the items she paints.

Luvs

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, I should have told you to go to the bottom of that blog page to see her santas. Sorry. Luvs

• anjabee
    15 years ago

That is funny about changing colors on your Christmas items. Thanks for the color choices. I'll have to look for those next time I'm shopping.
    The blog Santa's are cute too. I like them on the rounder spoons. More surface to work with. I'll be looking for those now instead of the regular spoons. Thanks for sharing the site. It's always fun to look at other people's stuff. ~Anj

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Luvs,
    I went to the site and it was pretty amazing. I liked the dog sitting up with a pink bandana didn't u. Her home is beautiful just like her paintings. Thanks for sharing. I love pink everything.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm glad you enjoyed that blog, I loved her stuff too. I am thrilled at how many creative people now have blogs to share their projects and ideas. Sure makes for some fun viewing. Anj, I like the wider spoons too, but they are not easy to find. I need to find something to paint on knives--lots of knives at the TS but very few forks and spoons! LOL I just ran across a clipping I had saved of some more traditional santas, may have to try them too someday. Maybe a santa spoon windchime would be cute.

Luvs

• anjabee
    15 years ago

I don't know where I will find the bigger spoons either unless I nic some from the chinese restaurants. ha JK I'll just have to keep my eyes open for them. I agree...a spoon windchime would be cute! I wonder if you could make a santa hat from pots or something to hang them from! ha An upside down funnel or the cone shaped strainers might work good too! ha Thinking about projects is almost as fun as doing them. I say that cause I do more thinking than doing usually. ha ~Anj

• gail1055
    15 years ago

Luvs, You come up with such good ideas. Could you tell me how to use the mica flakes and where to buy them? I've never worked with them before and I think they might be cute on a christmas sign (if I get around to painting any).
    Gail

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anj, those are some very creative ideas! I'll probably do good just to get a few painted for ornaments! LOL

Gail, Remember I am just a "crafter" not a professional, but I just used Diamond Dust Glitter that I bought at Michael's. I laid the hearts and spoons on a sheet of waxed paper to catch any excess glitter so it could be reused. I then diluted a bit of Mod Podge with a little water and brushed it on my hearts and spoons, then sprinkled them with the glitter.

I've read on some forums where people are using German Glass glitter. It comes in a variety of colors, but I've not seen it in our craft stores yet.

Luvs