Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phonegirl_gw

Rose Tray for Mother's Day

phonegirl
14 years ago

I finished my tray for DH's mom for Mothers Day. It isn't quite dry so I took one and then set the tray over it so you can get an idea of what it will look like in the tray. I purchased the tray at Target. The rose pattern is one of Priscilla Hausers. I wish I would of painted the outside something other than gold but didn't want to repaint. Punk

{{!gwi}}

Comments (13)

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

It's just beautiful! What a gorgeous tray, and your painting of the roses and the background just look perfect. I know your MIL is going to love it.

Now can I just say that once again your speed just blows me away!

Luvs

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Luvs,

Thanks for your sweet comment. I didn't mention that the back ground pattern was from one of JMP patterns. As for me being so fast all I can say is your inspiration motivates me!

If it wasn't for your sweet comments, I wouldn't put as much detail on my leaves and I enjoy painting them like this now. Thanks again for being here for me. I used some light lilac and blue with black plum in the darker areas to blend with my roses on this one, just to see how they would turn out.

Punk

• anjabee
    14 years ago

Wow, at least someone is thinking ahead to Mothers Day. I should probably get on that right away. ha
    What a pretty and unique tray. Background is so pretty. Looks like a starry night. Your roses are beautiful. Love the colors you used and your leaves are excellent. They look real. Your MIL is sure to love this gift! ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Punk, I did notice the additional colors on the leaves--that really ties the color of the lettering into the whole of the picture doesn't it? You really do have the knack for doing beautiful leaves, and the extra floats of color make them even more pretty.

When I started trying to learn some One Stroke painting, one of the things that I thought was so neat was how DD
    used her "dirty" brush to paint the leaves and it just added such neat extra colors to it. Prior to that, I never would have even considered not washing the color out of my brush completely before using the next color! LOL

Anj nailed it, the background does remind me of a beautiful starry night. Nice that you can combine patterns so easily to get exactly what you want. Were the roses from a pattern, or have you just learned to do them so well that you can just do your own thing when you paint them?

I don't think I'll ever get away from needing a pattern, or at least a picture, I just have no design talent at all! LOL

This forum does really help for motivation, especially now that I don't have any painting buddies in real life. Seeing everyone's projects on here makes me want to do some of my own.

Can't wait to see what comes next.

Luvs

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your sweet comments also Anj. How was your day without being the Little Helper? The roses are Priscilla Hauser's design from the book Brush Lettering with Ken Brown. I didn't paint my roses at all like she does but someday I will try them.

Luvs, do you have this book or where did you come up with your saying on your rose tray? The front has the saying "Whoever the giver, Wherever it goes, Nothing says Love, Like a Beautiful rose." Isn't this kinda like what you painted on your rose tray?

I used a pattern for everything on this tray. Once I traced some of the design I just took off and painted it. I did add the white spots only because it seemed so dull without it.

I'm waiting for my client to show up so GTG.

Punk

• sherwoodva
    14 years ago

Hi, Punk.

This is so pretty. I can't imagine doing all that shading on the leaves; it would take me forever. Until I saw Anj's comments, I didn't notice the leaves. I was looking at the unusual background and your terrific roses.
    The white spots really do look like stars.

Your MIL is very lucky.

CC

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

CC,

Thanks for your comments on this project. The leaves don't take that long once you start painting like that. I just keep painting and only wash my brush when it quits blending like I want. The more color on it the better.

I'd love to see your kleenex box when you finish so hope you'll post a picture for us. Punk

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Punk, quick question please. How did you do your black background. Is it a combination of speckling fine drops on it and adding dip dots? Your larger dots seem to "glow", did you do a float around them or something?

I'm asking because a friend sent me a picture to make a sign for her, and the background looks allot like your's.

Thanks, Luvs

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Luvs,

Yes, I speckled it and then used my scruffy brush dipped in white and blotted on a paper towel to remove most of the paint and then lightly rubbed it ramdomly in a circular motion where I wanted the glow. After that went back and used large dotter to make center dots. Hope this explains it so you can understand. Punk

• paintingfool
    14 years ago

Your tray is beautiful. I love the color variation in the leaves.

Sometimes when I want the glow from the dots, I wash (or spray) the board lightly with water and then put on my dots. The mist of water will make them bleed so they look like they have a haze around them.

Great job.
    B

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks B for the comment and tip. I'll have to try the wash or spray and see how that works for me. It sounds easier than how I've been doing it. I got this idea from Jamie Mills Price and liked it. The reason I put them around on the tray was to help bring it out. It seemed blah!

Punk

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Thanks Punk and Bebe, I love the glow around some of the dots, so I'll try that. Luvs

• luthien
    14 years ago

this is a beauty punk! i love the color of the roses and the highlights you put in... makes that roses look embossed (is that the right word?) i mean, the roses jumps out on you :) beautiful and sophisticated esp with the black background!