Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweets98

My Prim painted suitcase

sweets98
17 years ago

Luvs asked me to share this over here and not just at the C& D. :)

I painted this a few weeks ago. The suitcase was sitting here calling to me and I finally decided to get to work on it. I had been looking at Prim photos all week and penny rugs called to me. I saw a few painted on items and some regular old penny rugs with different Prim groupings so I decided to draw up my own with items I love to collect and went to town.

I think it's going on my porch. I haven't totally decided yet and the weather won't stay nice enough for me to really get in the mood to finish decorating the porch! LOL

Comments (7)

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Glad you posted it over here Sweets. I admired it over on C&D, but makes it even more special that you designed it yourself! I've loved all your painted items over the years. I know everyone here will be glad to see it too. It will look great wherever you decide to put it. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hi Sweets, thanks so much for posting your suitcase here. Makes it so nice when new people come looking for ideas and inspiration.

I hadn't realized you made up your own design either. Way to go, gal. You did a wonderful job on it.

Was this your first suitcase? They are kind of fun to paint aren't they?

Hope your weather warms up so you can finish decorating your porch. TFS.

Luvs

• sweets98
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, I designed it myself. :) I usually do. I mean I look at others items and patterns for inspiration, like how I may want to draw a tree or sheep or something but then I use it on my own way or combine ideas to create my own.

Yes, this is my first suitcase. I bought two of them a few years back for in DS's room. I thought they would make great storage and they did but then I went to a YS at my in-laws neighbor's and she sold us this old dirty trunk for $3 so the suitcases were replaced :). I threw out the larger suitcase because it was way too big but this one was still hidden apparently and DH didn't get to it.

The house appears to be crooked but it's really not. One of the kids either stood or sat on the suitcase so the top is bent in a bit.

I still can't decide what color to do the handles or latches. I was thinking one of the accent colors but I don't know which yet! LOL

~Leslie

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

That is so great that you can take just the parts you like from a pattern and then use it to make up your own design.

The closest I have come to that is by leaving out some of the design that I'm not crazy about. Sometimes the pattern just seems too busy for me, so I "simplify" it a bit. LOL

I'd like to find a small square "cosmetic" case, or another small suitcase. I really enjoy painting them--but really have no place to use them! I've seen pictures of the little square ones all filled with items for a guest room, or one with personal grooming items for a bride. Really cute idea for gifts, I thougt.

Your house looks fine in the picture--besides it would be okay even if it weren't perfectly straight--it's a Prim design, so doesn't have to be exact. ;o)

Luvs

• phyl2916
    14 years ago

Hope you can help! I have an old hard surfaced suitcase that I would like to paint for my granddaughter who is 6. I have no idea what materials to use! Could you provide some guidance?

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Hi Phyl, I ordered a video on painting suitcases a couple years ago. On the video, they suggested that you spray the suitcase with primer,let it dry, then spray or brush on your acrylic paint. This would allow the paint to stick really well.

I recently found a little blue overnight hard sided case that I'm going to paint. I really like the shade of blue, and since it would mostly be looked at and not actually used--I'm thinking about painting roses on it without using the primer. I do think I will spray a coat of Krylon matte 1311 sealer on it first however. The matte sealer has always worked well to help make the paint adhere--even on glass, so I'll see how it does.

I hope this has helped a little bit. Hope you will come back and share a picture of your painted suitcase with us.

Luvs

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

I also have a suitcase to paint on and haven't decided what I want to paint on it. I thought a horse but now I'm thinking maybe just a snowman.LOL

You may want to do a search on the web but I think you could use a flat spray paint and paint your design and follow up with a sealer as Luvs suggested and be fine.

I will be looking forward to seeing your finished project so be sure and come back when your finished.

Punk