Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phonegirl_gw

Smokin' Santa

phonegirl
15 years ago

Finished my santa tray. I used glitter paint on all of it around him but the photo doesn't show. The writing doesn't show up much either but thought I share for what it's worth. This was out of Jean Zawicki's santas.

Punk

Comments (6)

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

You did a wonderful painting job on him! Love his beard, the eyes, the smoke, just all of it. Those trays make good painting surfaces, don't they? And they are useful as well as decorative. I even have one of mine propped up on an easel on top of a bookcase. Now I want to click on the pic once more and take another look! ;o)
    Luvs

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Luvs. He was a fun one that doesn't have much detail so painted up pretty quick. Wish I could paint like Jean but that's not going to happen in my busy life.

My DD picked this tray up for me so I should of thought about that before painting a santa on it. She just doesn't like santas like she does snowmen and I would rather paint santas.

Which tray do you have propped up on an easel? I have most of my projects stored just waiting for the right time to give.

Punk

• sherwoodva
    15 years ago

This is lovely. You are very talented, Punk. I like the way you blended the colors on his face. I can see the glitter at the bottom of the tray. Can only imagine what it looks like in person. This is not the typical Santa, so your DD might like him. I certainly would :)

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

CC,

Thanks for your sweet comments. I laugh at your comment this is not the typical santa. I'm not going there. haha

The secret to blending the facial colors is to keep adding more color while still wet and it just blends nicely. If not, keep going back and put another coat of shading on until you like the ending result, blending up and out. Does this make sense?

It's taken me years to get this down but most of the time it works. I've painted enough santas that I'm very comfotable painting their faces. I'll try to take another picture during the day and see if everything shows up better.

Punk

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Punk...what a handsome fellow you have painted there. ha Very nice and I love how you did the border in a circle around him with the leaves and berries in the foreground. Gives it lots of dimension. Very pretty tray you have now. Great job and thanks for the tips on doing the face. ~Anj

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anj,

Glad you had time to stop by and comment. I hope to do some more trays for Christmas presents this year, only time will tell. hahah I wanted to paint more around him but didn't really have enough room on the top and bottom so kept it simple. Punk