Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phonegirl_gw

Rose Record

phonegirl
15 years ago

Here is my rose record I painted for my sister. She has a huge record collection and this one is an old record that is 1/4" thick that has a little chip out of it so she ask if I wanted to paint on it and I gladly said "yes." I want to add her name and collector or something just not sure yet and I'm ready to end this project so thought I'd share. I have another one to paint on but thought I'd paint a santa or something totally different on it. She said she will go through her records and give me more that are no longer able to be played do to scrathes, etc. Let me know what you think.

I am going to paint a fish for my SIL or the cabin and it should be fast. I'm going to paint Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

Punk

Comments (13)

• anjabee
    15 years ago

That turned out beautiful. Was it hard to paint on the record grooves? ~Anj

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Anj, so glad you liked it. It wasn't hard at all to paint on the record groves. I didn't even think about it until you asked. I didn't prime it first and so one of my leaves started to come off when I applied to much paint this afterrnoon so I just quit and posted it.

Here's my fish I painted. Couldn't fit the wording I wanted on it so just painted Gone Fishing.

{{!gwi}}

Now that I posted, I see I really need to varnish but who knows when I'll get it done so I will leave it posted and varnish later.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Your rose and the fish both look really nice. I tried to enlarge the picture but it wouldn't let me enlarge the fish for some reason. I saw a magazine once where they had painted flowers on a record, but I've never tried it. Maybe I should, we have lots of old records around here. Have you seen them made into clocks? Luvs

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Luvs, sorry you couldn't enlarge the fish. I will try to repost and see if that helps.

{{!gwi}}

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Thanks Punk, it worked that time. Love it! Great job on the shading and details. How'd you do the tail? Did you use a fan brush? It's great. Luvs

• retiree43
    15 years ago

Beautiful job phonegirl! Is the rose your own design or from a pattern? If it's a pattern, who's? We have lots of old records; maybe it's time for me to give them a paint job.

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments from all of you. Luvs, I painted the tail with a scruffy brush and I just stroked it to make it look like I used a fan brush. I forgot to name the books and authors. The fish was in my book Feathers & Fins by Bob Embry.

Retiree, the rose pattern was in my book Pretty Painted Flowers by Sue Pruett. The only roses I paint without a pattern are the one stroke. Try painting some of your records, I thought it was a great surface to play with. I wouldn't of thought to try it if it wasn't for my sis with a huge collection. I wanted to put her name and Collector on it but it wouldn't fit where I wanted it so will have to do better planning on the next one. haha

She just brought me a bright red tray to paint so I have to figure out what I want on it. I was thinking the out side would be fast to paint like a peppermint candy swirled. Then paint a snowman or Christmas scene inside.

Punk

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on your fish Punk. You did an excellent job on it. Love the green color you used on the background. Perfect. My DH, dad and brothers are all fishermen and would enjoy something like that. I did paint one fish for my brother, but it wasn't so life-like as yours. It's wonderful. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

I have to say that while your roses are gorgeous, what I'm really amazed at is how great your leaves look. I could never paint so realistic. The same on your fish, you really did such good painting on him.

So will the record just be placed on an easel, or will you glue something on the back so it can be hung? Hmmm, maybe a pretty ribbon tied in a fluffy bow to hang it would be pretty.

Luvs

• sherwoodva
    15 years ago

Luvs, the rose is gorgeous. I always love pink roses, but these really show up against the black record. You did a great job. I haven't done a pattern in a long time, but I will have to look for that book.

Funny, when I looked at the little picture, it looked ok, but when I opened it, I was like "Oh my gosh!" Guess I've been away too long. (Maybe that's a good thing - sometimes your skill level is intimidating!)

Thanks for posting the pix.

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anj, Luvs and CC, thanks again for all the nice compliments. You inspire me to keep going and I do love to paint when I can find time.

You are all such good painters that I hope we can keep posting and having fun here forever. I showed my fish to my installer and he thought it was great. He loves to fish and so I need to make him something on the order of the fish plaque someday.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Colorcrazy, these two projects were done by Phonegirl aka Punk, not me. I only wish I could paint as well as she does (and as fast!). I'm sure she appreciates the compliments.

It is great to have you coming by again, and don't be intimidated by anyone, your painting is really good. ;o)

Luvs

• paintgirl2008
    15 years ago

The roses are beautiful!! My Grandson would love to have that fish! You did a great job on both!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022