Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Christmas Cake plate and cover

luvstocraft
15 years ago

This was a metal cake cover and pedestal plate I had found at TS at different times. Both are fairly lightweight, so not "the good stuff".

I had found a cute gingerbread and candy pattern I wanted to use, but when I reduced it to fit, the details would not have shown up much. So I then remembered this design with the candies and holly. There's a design on the front and back.

The red had to have multiple coats to get a nice even coverage, and keeping the edges of the red sections neat wasn't easy either!

I do think it turned out pretty good in the end, and know I will enjoy using it on my table during the holidays.

Oh, I will not be putting food directly on the painted stand but will set a glass plate inside it to hold the food. Also this will not be submersed in water, only wiped off with a damp cloth.

Luvs

Comments (14)

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Soooo cool! You did such an awesome job on it. I love the candy. Love how the hi-lites make it look 3D. It's gonna look so good on your holiday table!! ~Anj

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Luvs, your cake plate and top looks great together. I would of never thought to put the two together. Your so talented. You will love having this out for your holiday table and the others will be wanting one just like it for theirs.

Good choice on the pattern cuz it looks 3D like Anj said. Have you ever painted green first and then painted red to cover easier? I read this somewhere and have done this but don't remember what I thought after wards. I'll have to try it again and see what I think and maybe I'll remember this time. LOL

Punk

• paintgirl2008
    15 years ago

That cake plate is just too pretty to put away until Christmas!! You did a great Job painting it!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks PG, I'm glad you liked it. Luvs

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Your cake tin is truly awesome Luvs! I can't wait to find one I can paint! You are so very clever in finding different surfaces to paint, I need to take my mind off the flat surfaces! Was this a pattern or one of your creations! Either way it is great!

OK.....I'm getting fresh water and finding a project!

Thanks Luvs..

Belle

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Belle, you are so cute! Your comments made me laugh. I just love the thrill of the hunt I get from scouring the TS in the area and I always look for things I can paint.

I've seen some of these online and just drooled over them, so had been keeping an eye open to find my own. And I just couldn't believe I found two of them within a week of each other after having been wanting one for months and months! LOL

Today, I saw a neat wooden wall pocket that might have been fun to paint--but it had no price tag on it so I had to pass on it.

Hope you find just the project to work on, I'll be looking forward to your posting it. ;o)

Luvs

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

I'm so glad that this has got Belle ready to paint something. haha We are always ready for a new project to share. Fresh water that's one way to say it alright. How Fun. I want to paint one of these also but don't have one yet. Yard Sales are my bag so maybe soon.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Punk, I seldom get up the nerve to stop at yardsales even though I know there are sometimes fantastic bargains! Just always feel awkward if I don't buy something! LOL

Also, around here allot of them are mainly clothing--I want wooden items, metal items, and dishes! LOL

Luvs

• paintingfool
    15 years ago

Luvs, you always do such a good job with your paintings. I love this idea so much I am bidding on a vintage aluminum cake cover.

I love yard sales but don't have the patience to drive around looking for them. And I am not very good with bargaining - I have to have my husband do that. My sister is the best yarder, she told me to wear the worst outfit I have and not to wear my jewelry. I have a think about looking nice when I leave the house and I only have one pair of jeans (jeans were so casual, I only wore dress pants). But my fear is someone I know will see me and wonder what happened to me after I retired!! But I am going to try - I am going to get a T shirt and a pair of those jeans that have holes in them, brush my hair straight back, no make up, no jewelry and my crocs - she is going to be so proud of me! But first, I have to get a pair of sunglasses - you never know who you will meet at one of those sales.
    B

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Bebe..............how funny in a very nice way! Everyone - just everyone does Yard Sales! And if they don't they really, really want to and are just scared - like you - to be seen at one....how brave of you to try! I don't go often because of the mileage to and from but when we do...we do it big! We make it either a ladies event or a family affair with a late lunch after shopping. On Labor Day Weekend we get together with about 8 to 10 other couples for the weekend, the guy go play mini golf or just hang out and we girls (and a few of the guys) hit the sales. There has been as many as 4 vehicles going from one sale to another and it is so fun. We make a list of things that we are looking for and give it to each group, so as we move around a sale if someone see something on the list they tell that person. We laugh and joke and most home owners have as much fun as we do! Many areas have block sales and these are really fun! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO go for it!

Belle
    PS I used to feel guilty for not buying anything, now I just tell the owner thank you...and that seems to work.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bebe, If you run into someone you know at a yard sale--they are yardsaling too! LOL

Imagine your sister is telling you to look "poorer" so they might give you a better deal--but most yard sale prices are pretty low to start with, so I don't think that will be an issue for you. Just go as you normally dress, and if someone sees you, just say "I'm looking for things I can paint and give new life too--my way of recycling, repurposing, and reusing." This cake cover was only $1.99 and the pedestal bottom was $1.99, both found at two different TS at different times.

Everybody seems to be going now, many look for bargains to resell on Ebay. Even the owner of the little antiques and collectibles shop where I used to work goes to them.

Belle, your way of doing it sounds like allot of fun. How nice to go as a whole group. And I will try your suggestion of just saying "thank you" when I don't find anything I want to buy. My problem is that I tend to buy things I don't really need just because they are a bargain! LOL

Luvs

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Luvs,

I have deleted some of my pictures from photobucket. I downloaded some I still had back in. While browsing I thought about your cake plate so decided to bring it back to the top for all to see this Christmas Season.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Punk, I hadn't clicked on the gallery for awhile, so was surprised to see this back at the top. Hope others enjoy it, it's one of my favorite things I've painted. ;o)
    Still have one more that I need to paint--per your suggestion, it is going to be for Birthdays. ;o) Luvs

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Luvs, how wonderful that I choose one of your favorites as well as mine to bring up. I can hardly wait to see your next cake plate all painted up. I think little cupcakes with sparkling frosting would be cute.LOL

I did get quite a few pictures downloaded to Photobucket again so they could be viewed still. However some I don't have on my computer or camera any longer.

Punk

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz