Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Metal tray finished

luvstocraft
15 years ago

Would have been good if I'd gotten this finished before Valentine's, but it's okay, I like roses any time of the year! LOL

I painted it on a white tray, sealed it with matte sealer, then "antiqued" it to make it have more of an "old" look.

Luvs

Comments (16)

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Luvs...It's beautiful! So well balanced both color and structure! Totally Great! And the light background brings out the lace in the tray.

Well worth the wait so keep them coming!

Belle

• sherwoodva
    15 years ago

Luvs, it is lovely. Very light and fluid. You have a good eye. Of course, I am biased, because I love pink roses.

Where did you get the tray? I've looked and haven't seen any that are not already painted.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Belle and CC. The little tray was just a silver one I found at the TS, real cheap, but I loved the cutouts on it. After I posted this picture, I realized I hadn't added my little dot centers on the purple flowers! So I added them and a few leaves and a little squiggle on the left bottom edge where it seemed like a bare spot. Funny how you notice things more when you see the picture! LOL

Luvs

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Oh that turned out really pretty. I like the shape and the cutouts on the tray. And of course your beautiful roses make it pop. Did you use gold paint or the gold paint pen to do your lettering? You turned it into a beautiful piece. =) ~Anj

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Luvs, you have another beautiful tray. That is pretty neat how it has the cutouts. I think it will be great for any time of year. There's never enough LOVE. What did you use to antique it? You need to stop playing in your yard and just paint for us to enjoy. haha Punk

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad you all liked it. First time I've added words on one. Got the idea from a Ginger Edwards pattern in Feb.08 Painting magazine. Just used the metalic paint and a liner brush. To "antique" it a bit, I just rubbed on some Old English dark furniture polish, and then took a soft cloth and buffed most of it off. (That was a trick I learned from another painter a long time ago. Have to be real careful not to touch it until it has dried good.) Luvs

• paintingfool
    15 years ago

Luvs, this is so pretty. I am partial to pink roses and love the pink on a soft white background. And of course, the tray is darling. I did a rose with Ginger Edwards back in October and the background had french words painted on it. Love it!!
    B

• paintgirl2008
    15 years ago

Luvs, your tray is beautiful and what gorgeous roses.I love pink roses and am making plans to put some out in my yard this spring. Beautiful work!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad both of you liked it, PF and Paintgirl. Anytime I go to a TS, I always keep on the lookout for metal trays like this. They are fun to paint and easy to store away when not using as well.

PF, not sure I'm remembering your rose with the french word background. Did you share it on here?

Paintgirl, I love pink roses too and have several in my yard. My most favorite is one with small delicate little roses. They are so cute as rosebuds as well as when they fully open.

Luvs

• oddie
    15 years ago

Just Beautiful luvs! have to keep a eye out for the metal trays, could never paint like you, its hard to beleive thats a metal tray, I love the idea of recycleing the trays, has to be some way I can save one!
    TFS
    oddie

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Oddie, that's what I always think too. Even the worst looking tray works great with a bit of sanding and a coat of primer. Then you can either spray on a color or brush it on with using your acrylics. You can't paint anything on them, doesn't have to be roses. I even did one using the chalkboard paint. You always come up with great ideas too. Luvs

• nancelee
    15 years ago

Luvs, That tray is so special! You did a great job on it. Spectacular! Your design is just right. I buy "silver" trays to paint on at the dollar store and they work well and come in different shapes, round, oval and rectangle.

Nance

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Nancelee, I love painting on the trays too, but my biggest problem is what to do with them afterwards! This house doesn't have allot of wallspace or storage space! LOL

Would love it if you would post some of your projects. So fun to see what others are painting--and it keeps me motivated to want to paint more.

Luvs

• nancelee
    15 years ago

I will try to post a tray I painted with a snowscene. This is a wooden tray.....don't remember if it shows the whole tray but it's just a small one. It looks like the procedure of posting a picture has changed. I need to review that first.

Nance

• nancelee
    15 years ago

I will try to post a pic of a tray I painted. It's been awhile since I did that.......will have to review anj's information.

Nance

• nancelee
    15 years ago

Ooops! Sorry about that.

Now I will try to post a pic.

Nance

src="http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/glasspainter2/th_churchinsnow.jpg"; border="0" alt="church in snow.jpg" >

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz