Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Tin tray nativity

luvstocraft
16 years ago

As you can see, I'm still finishing up Christmas painting. This was just one of those cheap metal trays from the TS. Thought this was a cute pattern so decided to do it on the tray. I'm thinking about putting two holes in the tray and running a pretty ribbon in them so it can be hung. If not, I will just prop it on one of my bookshelves maybe.

Luvs

Comments (11)

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Now that is cute! What a fun pattern. Their faces are so sweet. I love it. The wood on the manger looks real. Love the colors. It's a great addition to your Christmas decorations and I like the ribbon idea. Great job, Luvs!! ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, Anj, maybe you can help me. With this pic, I edited it and turned it to the right so it would be like it is above. So why does it show up sideways when you click on it? Any ideas? I don't remember it doing that before, just the last couple of pics I've posted.

It is sort of a sweet little scene. Pattern is from Nancy Wood again. I seem to like her stuff. ;o)

Now what shall I paint next????

Luvs

• anjabee
    16 years ago

It's not turning sideways when I click on it. It's up and down. Weird. Maybe some little technical glitch since it's connected to your computer???

I think you should paint something else Irish next! Still loving those cute leprechauns. ha Or are you ready to move on to Easter? ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anj, It 's funny that you should suggest that. I was looking at an old painting magazine, and found a cute pattern for a bunny girl holding an armfull of shamrocks inside two intersecting heart shapes with little hearts here and there. Just perfect for Valentines, St. Pat's and Easter all rolled into one! LOL I'm thinking I should paint it just because it is so inclusive. Need to get the wood piece cut out and get to work on it, huh?

Remember the blue wooden shutters I curb shopped last year?(I'm posting a pic of them for you below) Decided they would not work for a bench or potting table because the backside is so ugly, so I took one and painted one stroke roses on it today. I have it completed by can't get a pic tonight because I keep getting too much glare. Will try to take a pic tomorrow and post it for you to see. Guess I can either use it on my front patio or on the side of the house in the flowers. Need to see if my friend Linda can use the rest of them for something so I can get rid of the rest.

See why I love One Stroke? I can complete a whole project in just a few hours! Love it! Here's the before pic.

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Well, before you give them away, take a good look at them and make sure there is nothing else you want to do with them. I can think of a few, but what I was thinking when I first saw them was to turn them sideways and use the centers as frames for pictures (decoupage) or paint something in the centers to make it look like some of the window panes that have been painted here (snowmen peaking in) and then hang on your wall inside. Or if you have a bunch of them, you could hinge them together to make a kind of screen. That would be so neat. Think of them like that with all your pretty flowers painted on them. I'm sure they look beautiful the way you've painted the ones you've done. Can't wait to see the pics. I'm gonna really practice the one stroke this year and try to get it down. If you really can't find a use for them I know Linda will love to have them.

If the weather stays nice after I get back I found a soo cute leprechaun holding a smiling shamrock that I want to try to cut out and paint, but if it's too cold I'm not gonna go out to try to use the saw. May just have to find something else to paint him on. ha Found it in one of my .25 cent TS book finds. It's called Beginner's Luck Through the Seasons by Marie Cole. It's got a Easter bunny in it too that's pretty cute, but I've got a few bunnies I'm looking at to decide which one I want to try. As slow as I am I'll probably only get one done. :) ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's the painted panel. I love painting the one stroke flowers. You are right Anj, might make a good folding screen, but they are really really heavy, so I'd worry about little GD knocking one over and getting hurt I think. Plus I have no where in the house to use them. Could be cute hanging sideways, but again the weight is a factor. I'll think on it some more, but they've been sitting around here for over six months now! LOL

• anjabee
    16 years ago

OH Luvs!! It's so awesome. I don't think you are out of practice AT ALL!! Gorgeous. I didn't realize they were heavy. In some ways it reminds me of an old screen door. Wonder if you could cut the inside panels out and add screen and a handle and use it somewhere in the garden or porch as a faux door? Or just paint up the rest of them and go ahead and add them to your house in the capacity they were meant to be used. ha That would be something unique. ha
    You really did do a great job on those and quick too. I'm jealous that you can do that so well. I really need to apply myself and practice! It really is such a pretty way to paint.

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here but I just wanted to tell you your tray is the cutest. Don't think I have ever seen a nativity painted on a tray so you are an original. And the shutters would be so pretty anchored together as a folding screen for the front porch as Anj suggested. Of course to keep them from falling over, anchor them to the side of the house with screws and small rope. That's what we did in our house when we put up the "over the toilet" cabinet. Great job on both.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, you are great at thinking up ideas. Hadn't thought about trying to cut them out. The back of them is additional boards that fill in the frame--those might be able to be removed to make them not so heavy.

I just hate to see things get thrown away if they can be reused. I had thought about a bench using one for the seat and back and cutting one in half for the legs/arms but realized the inside of the arms would be ugly. Now you got me thinking, and I could put them together and make a "box" that could be used as a bench or turned over and used like a planting box. That way the underside would not have to show. Painted or unpainted, it would be useful. I'm so glad you got my "creative" juices flowing again--thank you, thank you. Now where's that screwdriver????

Luvs

• anjabee
    16 years ago

I just really hate that feeling of getting rid of something and only then getting the perfect idea of how you could have used it!! ha I like the box idea! That should work! Do you have mad carpenter skills?? ha Go for it.

Bebe~ don't mind us...and you are always welcome to jump in. That's a great idea to anchor things. I have a few things I'm gonna do that with this spring. Thanks for the suggestion. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Bebe, we must have been posting at the same time because I didn't see your post when I answered Anj's. By all means jump right in and join in anytime. This is a good place to visit about painting or non-painting ideas and just what's going on in our lives.

Glad you liked the nativity, the design was on a metal triangular shaped windchime in the mag, but I liked it and wanted it on something else--had the tray already primed, so it got selected. LOL

Gosh, a folding screen sure could be cute. I can imagine a Christmas tree in the middle and then Santa on one panel and a snowman on the other. Or even with some birdhouses painted on them. Of course, there would have to be climbing roses twining up them. LOL

Okay, guess I will hang onto them and try to make a couple things out of them. Thanks for removing my "creative" block both of you. ;o)

Luvs

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz