Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gail1055

It's 5 o'clock Somewhere

gail1055
16 years ago

This was an experiment. I wanted to see how this would look on a fan blade. What do you think? I had trouble finding a color for the lettering. I'm not sure if it shows up. Gail

Comments (23)

• diarich
    16 years ago

That is gorgeous!!! You've done a great job!
    Diana

• oddie
    16 years ago

Just beautiful! color looks perfect just the way it is.
    oddie

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Gail, another beautiful fan blade! You are going to be a landscape artist soon. The lettering looks just right to me and the colors are lovely. Luvs

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

I think he is beautiful and your strokeword on your lettering is great. A very happy looking bird.

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Oooh, so pretty and tropical! I think the lettering shows up fine. Has someone snapped that one up yet?? ~Anj

• gail1055
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anj, funny you should ask. I showed it to my neighbor and she just had to have it. She has it hanging on her front porch. That was yesterday and I already have 2 maybe 3 orders for more. I think I may have hit on something. I'm going to paint a bunch of them. They just might sell at my craft show in the fall :~).

• anjabee
    16 years ago

That's great Gail. I hope you sell lots!! ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Gail, today at Marshall's I saw a boat oar with a lighthouse scene painted on it and thought of your paintings. I'm so glad to hear your items are selling as fast as you paint them--way to go! Luvs

• painting_mom_07
    16 years ago

That is so cool! I have been looking for a pattern to do something like this on a fan blade but have not found one yet....where did you get the pattern? Where can I find pics of your other fan blades? You are very talented.
    Diane

• gail1055
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Diane, I'm glad you like it. I spend the winter in Florida and my 5 0'clock somewhere fan blades have been very popular here. I can't paint enough of them. There is no pattern. I just drew it up. Go ahead and try one of your own. Here's a few more I've done. Gail

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Gail, you have been a busy lady. You sure come up with some good ideas. I love to see your painted items. I have a magazine with a cute pattern that I wish I could show you. It's a marguerita glass full of "liquid" with a little green worm with a sombrero on. It's painted on an apron four times. First one says "one tequila", next one "two tequila". In both of these the little worm is sitting on the rim of the glass looking pretty perky. Then "three tequila" where the worm looks a little off balance and is hanging over the rim of the glass. And finally the worm has fallen off the glass and it says "Floor". Makes me laugh everytime I see it! LOL Do you still have the fan blade with the parrot? If so, you might want to add an extra o on the first "to"--should be "too", I think. Thanks for sharing your great fan blades with us. Luvs

• gail1055
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi luvs,

That little green tequila worm sounds great. I'd love to do something like that. I've been told my fan blades look good with tropical or summer designs on them. I'm have a blast painting this kind of decor. Any suggestions you may have are greatly appreciated. You have a good eye. I noticed the miss spelling of "to" on that parrot blade. I personalized the beer bottle when I sold it so I corrected the "to" at the same time. Here's the finished fan blade.

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

Gail, these are wonderful. My sister has signs similar with different sayings on it hanging on the privacy fence by their pool. Makes the place very festive. And your painting, as usual, is right on. Love the birds too.
    B

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi Gail, I'm so glad you caught that and were able to fix it--I almost didn't mention it, but I'd want someone to tell me. I really love the designs you paint on your fan blades, and your painting is so good. ;o) Luvs

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Hey Gail...seems like it's been a little while since we've heard from you, but I see you've been keeping busy! ha I LOVE the Island Time one. They are all so pretty though. I can see why they are so popular down there. We love hearing from you! :) ~Anj

• gail1055
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone...I'm glad you like my parrots. I've got about 6 orders for them so I've been very busy. Between painting and having company I hardly have time for anything else. Except for going to the pool of course. It's just another day in paradise :~)

• anjabee
    16 years ago

You little stinker....just rub it in why don'tcha. ha Well, DH & I just braved a trip to Hawaii and now he's saying he wants to take the kids on a cruise to Florida this summer! I wasn't saying no! ha It's my favorite place to vacation! Save a spot for me by the pool! :) ~Anj

• painting_mom_07
    16 years ago

Gail your fan blades are awesome and I think I will try one. I'm certain it won't be as good as yours but you have inspired me....I will post the finished product. Wish me luck :)

Diane

• phonegirl
    16 years ago

Gail, What a fun way you've come up with using old fan blades. I would of never thought of this but I Love the idea and yours are beautiful so I'm sure when I get some I'll be painting something on them. Keep posting, it's great to come home on Friday night and spend time on the computer looking at everyones beautiful projects. So many talented ones on this site. Wish I had time to respond to all.

• gail1055
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Diane and phonegirl,

I'm just having lots of fun painting fan blades. Everyone in my mobile home park is bringing them to me. They see someone throwing them away so they bring them to me. One morning I woke up and an entire ceiling fan was sitting on my carport. I just had to laugh. Diane have fun with your fan blade and let me know how it turns out. Gail

• phonegirl
    16 years ago

That's hilarious. Have you figured out how to paint or make a new project out of the rest of the fan? If the one in my living room was turned upside down outside it would be a beautiful plant holder on a pedistal. Maybe you'll become famous by painting these you never know.

• anjabee
    16 years ago

I've used the brackets that hold the fan blades for decorative curtain "tie-backs". Just screw them into the wall and when you open your curtains, put them behind the brackets to hold them back. I don't know if all of them would work for that, but the ones I had were really short and ornate.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Phonegirl, you should see the wonderful chairs that Gail paints too. There are lots of them here on the forum, just do a search by her name or type in painted chairs so you can see them. They are just amazing! Luvs

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022