Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Holiday forum

luvstocraft
17 years ago

Have any of you been over to the holiday forum to see the post on fall decoration? I know CheriC and I have been there. The poster, whose name is Juditha, makes the most beautiful stacking plates centerpieces for the holidays! I want to start collecting ornaments and such to try to do one also. Take a look when you have time--her pics are real "eye candy" Luvs

Comments (11)

• anjabee
    17 years ago

I was just over there a few days ago, but I'm heading back now to check those out. Thanks luvs. ~Anj

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Luvs that was gorgeous wasn't it? I don't know about you, but I'm thinking "indoor totems". I bet you could make something even more beautiful than those stacked cake plates with your totem abilities!! I'm thinking clear somethings in between red glass plates! Beautiful for Christmas! or vise versa. Are you gonna try it or just go with the cake plates? ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Anj, I'm hoping to get to a couple of TS this week to see what is available. Would love to keep the cost down if possible. I know Walmart has the sundae glasses like she used on top for less than $2.00. Three of those would make the stands and be sturdy enough not to topple. if we could find really pretty plates for the top and glue them to the sundae glasses--that would work. Actually, even pretty stemware upside down would work too. My concern is that the ornaments I saw at the Drugstore the other day were $1.99 each or higher. I'll have to check the prices at Walmart for those too. Red plates would be really pretty for Christmas and Valentines and 4th of July. However, crystal could work for all the holidays. I'll let you know what I find--I haven't bought hardly any Christmas decorations in the last few years, so guess I'm due for something pretty. I'll let you know what I find and you do the same, okay? ;o) Luvs

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, I'm back. This project will not be as inexpensive as I had hoped.

I went to Walmart today. Found the little angel like the Fall one, it was $4.92, a pack of four pretty ornaments was $4.28, a swag with flowers, leaves, berries, etc. was $7.00. The plastic grape clusters are $1.97 each, and some pretty wired see thru ribbon was $1.93 per roll. Then stopped on way home at Marshall's and they had a box of those beaded fruit and some gold pinecones for $10.00. I'm looking at $32.00 and that's without the plate stands! Oh yeah, those sundae glasses are only $1.00 at Walmart, and there were some pretty colored glass plates--blue ones and green ones for less than $2.00 each. So let's see, three plates about $6.00, and three sundae glasses for $3.00 so that comes to about $41 to make one of the tiered plate stand decorations--and I'm not even sure if that would be enough to fill all three plates and the space underneath!

I think this might be one of those projects where you start small and just add to it each year.

Think I'll dig out my cake plate and see what else I have that could make just a 2nd tier. Or maybe I'll start out with just some of the pretty stuff on the cake plate with a candle in the middle and add more next year.

Hate to spend too much on new decorations now that I'm not working at the bank anymore. Would rather spend the money on presents for little GD, family members and friends. ;o)

I'll keep looking at prices when I'm out, and see if I find some bargain ones. Maybe even try to find some at the after Christmas sales this year--I used to never get to go to those because I always had to be at work, and now I don't usually go because I don't really need anything--but might look for decorations for the plates this year.

Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Wow! That's pricey. I guess that will have to wait for me too. Plus I use my cake plate every year....for CAKE! ha It may not look as nice, but much tastier than plastic fruit. ha ~Anj

• diarich
    17 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Have to check out the flea markets LOL
    That's more of my price range...plus we have a 2 yr old in the house who will probably love to help Mimi with it LOL
    You ladies are so talented.

• rosemarythyme
    17 years ago

Luvs and Ladies: Been out of the country for a bit and am now playing catch-up. Don't have any project to contribute but am reading the postings. Which Holiday Forum are you referring to? When I do a search there are hundreds to choose from. Help!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Rosemarythyme, I wondered where you went. Glad you are back with us. Near the top of the discussions page where it says "related forum" you will see Crafts and the other one is Holidays. Just click on Holidays. I think the title is Fall and Winter decorations posted by Juditha. It is really pretty--worth taking a look at. Let me know if you still can't find it.

I loved that she made them in several colors, thought that would be fun-until I started checking the price of materials to put on them! Ha ha I may do one but think I'll start small and just add to it each year. Or I might be able to do one, but just not as elegant as hers, using materials I already have on hand. Something to play around with--if it turns out decent, I'll post pics! Ha ha

The main thing is just to enjoy the process of creating.

Luvs

• rosemarythyme
    17 years ago

Thanks so much Luvs! You are too right. Juditha certainly has some beauties. Think you're on the right track. Look for the expensive stuff after Christmas when it's 75% off and build up your inventory for next year's creation! I'm afraid my cat would destroy whatever I put out. Bought a Fall Centerpiece and he couldn't stay away from it when I brought it home. It is now sitting in my art studio. I'm not sure what to do about a Christmas tree this year!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've heard that kitties like Christmas trees--like to bat the ornaments that are dangling and some even want to climb up inside the tree! You might ask what others do over on the GJ conversations side--I know several of those ladies have kitties.

I enjoyed seeing Juditha's creations, she makes them so beautiful. I'll save this to my idea file, and see what I can find without breaking the bank. Ha ha

That's what I love about these forums, gives us new ideas or even starts us thinking about new ways to use things we already have.

Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Yes, be careful with a real tree. Some kitties like the smell of the outdoors so much they like to make it their new litter box if you get my meaning. You don't want to pull out more than presents from under the tree on Christmas morning. ha

You may already know this, but there are lots of other fun forums on the gardenweb site to check out too. I like the crafts, holidays, trash to treasure, garden junk and more. If you go to the main gardenweb.com page, click on forums, then click home forums, garden forums or nature forums and it will pull up the full listing and you can go to the ones that interest you. But don't forget to come back here and play with us. :) Glad you are back. ~Anj

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!