Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khspw

creating and selling packets

khspw
14 years ago

OK I have 3 GREAT ideas for pattern packets..How do I go about getting them published/printed/sold/etc? Who can help me?

Comments (3)

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

To start with I would do a search on the net and then read everything you can find so you have the basics of what it takes to publish. I think it would be worth your time to send emails or contact some of the artists who have tole painted packets for sale.

If Bebe sees this post she may know if the Society of Decorative Painters could help you. She is a member and has painted with several artists through the years.

Good Luck and I hope you succeed at publishing your work. Punk

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

I sent an email to Kay since she has had a pattern published by BH&G. Hopefully she will be able to come by here tomorrow and offer some advice to you,Khspw. Luvs

• kkscrafthaven
    14 years ago

Hi there

Publishing packets is a little different then publishing one design or a whole book of designs. I self publish my packets and sell them on ebay, etsy etc. I sell them as E Patterns and it works out really well. Once a person pays by paypal I send them via email the color/supply list, detailed instructions, 1-2 color pictures and a black & white line drawing. You have to be sure you write really clear instructions that anyone can understand.

Years ago I used to sell them as "packets" which is the same thing but you have to buy plastic bags, make labels, print the pictures, charge for postage. So you could still do this on ebay and other places on the internet.

I know back when I was being published by BHG not many publishers at that time were interested in packets unless you had a pretty well known name.

You could submit one packet design to a publisher and get one published in a magazine and go from there? The nice thing about being published in a magazine is usually a paint supplier sees it and offers you free paint if you used theirs. Mine was Delta paints and I got free paint for years. Its really fun because they send you all the newest paint they come out with. So there are a lot of benefits to being in a magazine for sure.

When BH&G published mine people wrote to me to buy the wood birdhouse and then I would also send them a list of patterns I had for sale.

Sorry to write a book :)

Kay

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH