Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Any ideas for me?

luvstocraft
16 years ago

My SIL says that my neice is in charge of the class teachers at Sunday school. She wants me to help her with ideas for inexpensive thank you gifts for September.

Of course my brain went totally blank! LOL Trying to think of something they might not have seen yet.

I thought about the teacup and saucer bird feeders where you put the seed wrapped in tulle inside the cup with a verse. We'd have to find about 20 cups and saucers--not sure that would be inexpensive enough.

Have you made any gifts for your kids teachers? Got any ideas to share?

I did a search on here, but didn't come up with much. I thought I had seen a post not long ago on the Crafts forum, but haven't refound it yet!

Luvs

Comments (12)

• anjabee
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How about your painted soaps (if you feel like painting that many) in a little see-thru net bag (you can get those at the $1 store) tied onto a handtowel. That's the first thing that popped into my mind and it's a mind that's not at full capacity yet since it's too early still. ha

Let me think on it and I'll try to think of a few more things. I was going thru my files last night and came across a few things I had in my thought folder to do at our church womens group when I was on the committee.

One was a little flower pot with a pen made into a flower. (wrapped with floral tape and a fake flower on top) You could decoupage a little saying onto the pot? I think you fill the pot with coffee beans (if you like that smell) or regular beans for the dirt.

If you could get a good deal on some pretty fleece, those rice warmers are really nice for that time of year. If you can sew.

If you could find an inexpensive place to get candles, a small crock candle with a bow on it would be nice.

How about those cookie ingredients in a jar with a cookie cutter attached by a ribbon?

or layered bath salts in a cute little jar.
    http://www.allfreecrafts.com/kids/layered-bathsalts.shtml This is not the cutest picture, but you could make them look nicer.

Or here's another good way to say Thanks a Million that I had saved:
    This thank-you gift jar is easy to make. A "thanks a million" thank-you gift jar is a homemade gift that says thank-you in a sweet and unique way and you will make them feel like a million bucks!

Necessary Supplies

10 "One Hundred Grand" miniature candy bars

Small glass jar with a lid

Colored tissue paper in a color of your choice

Metallic curling ribbon in three different colors

Sheet of card stock

Paper punch

Scissors

Procedure

Begin by locating an attractive glass jar, with a lid, that will hold 10 miniature candy bars. You can find unique glass jars with lids at craft stores and mass merchandise retailers that sell craft supplies. The household aisles of most major discount stores offer a good selection of unique glass jars with lids. Wash the jar in hot soapy water, rinse, and dry it thoroughly. Next, begin lining the jar with the candy bars so the fronts of the candy bar labels face outward. You want the recipient "100 Grand" labels. To hold the candy bars in place, stuff an appropriate amount of colored tissue paper in the center of the jar. Place the remaining candy bars on top of the tissue paper, arranging them nicely inside the thank-you gift jar. Decorate the top with three different colors of metallic curling ribbon. Curl three lengths of ribbon that will wrap around the top of the thank-you gift jar, and attach the ribbons while arranging them in an attractive manner. It will make your gift jar look like a million bucks!

Picture frames make nice gifts. An inexpensive silver frame with a scripture verse printed up on pretty paper inside?

Oh, this lady I know makes signs really fast. She paints a flat board then uses stick on lettering (I think she gets hers in the scrapbook section, but they are pretty big?) to make words like Faith and when it's up on the wall it looks painted on. You can get really smooth boards at Lowes over by the moldings??? I think and just cut them down to the size you need. Pretty cheap too. That's where I got my boards for those signs I made last Christmas.

Ok, I'm tapped for now. I'll keep my thinking cap on and see if I can come up with some more. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, Anj, you had a lot of good ideas. I am going to print this out so I can take it with me when I go to see her.

Hmmm, maybe I should go to Dollar Tree and find some soap (can't stand the strong smell of the ones I already had on hand.) I could get a bunch painted and then take them with me "just in case" she liked that idea. Then all we'd have to do is get the bags and towels.

I like the picture frame idea too. Maybe we could find some nice looking ones for not too much.

What is a crock candle? I stopped at Michael's yesterday and they had allot of candles on sales for 75 cents to a dollar. I could maybe paint on some candles--I have a nice verse/poem for volunteers that could be adapted I think.

What a cute idea the candy bars in the jar are. Don't know if I can find the 100 Grand ones--will have to see.

Oh gosh, now I may have to call my neice and run some of these ideas by her to see which one she likes best. If it involves painting, I should probably get started on it right away--we know how slow I can sometimes be! LOL

Thanks for helping to jump start my creative juices. ;o)

Luvs

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Luvs, glad that helped a little. I only got a few hours of sleep last night with one thing and another and I've been running kids around all day to activities so haven't had a chance to think on it anymore. I have my niece and nephew til the weekend.

I thought it might be easier to show you than to explain the candle. It has a lid so it looks like a crock to me. I got this one from a lady at church last Christmas. Of course you could do a different bow if you could find some inexpensive ones. A good pumpkin pie scent with a fall colored bow would be nice for that time of year. You probably can't tell from the picture, but it's pretty small.

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

Luvs,
    For something that is nice but inexpensive, try a votive candle wrapped in the round tulle, tied with a ribbon and a verse saying:

Here's a little candle, because you light the way,
    on a very special journey, each and every day.
    Although you may not know it with everything you do,
    You make me feel real special and you are special too.
    So, when you need a little lift, because you've had a "day",
    Please light this little candle, so I can light your way.

I think this poem came from someone on the Craft forum years ago but I don't know who wrote it.

Then there is the prayer rock, and the Angel for a Teacher, and the potpourri pillow made from a new sheet. If interested, let me know and I will send instructions.
    PF

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, more ideas. This is so great of you guys. Love this little poem.

Tell me about the prayer rock please. That sounds like a great idea too!

I'll just let my niece read all the ideas and choose what works for her. She has to come up with gifts often, so I'm sure she will want to keep several of these ideas for future use too.

Luvs

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

Luvs, You take a little rock, wrap it in tulle or fabric and tie this poem to it. This has been around for a while, there is even a bridal rock - I have the poem somewhere.

I am you little prayer rock, and this is what I'll do,
    Just put me on your pillow til the day is through.
    Then turn back the covers and climb into your bed,
    Whack! your little prayer rock will hit you on the head.
    Then you will remember as the day is through
    To kneel and say your prayers as you wanted to.
    Then when you are finished, just dump me on the floor.
    I'll stay there through the night to give you help once more.
    When you get up next morning, Clunk! I'll stub your little toe.
    So you will remember your morning prayers before you go.
    Put me back upon your pillow, when your bed is made
    And your clever little prayer rock will continue in your aid.
    Because your Heavenly Father cares and loves you so,
    He wants you to remember to talk to him, you know.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, I NEED one of those! Some days just go by so fast, we fail to make time for the important things. Bet my niece will find a way to use this idea. Thanks so much. Luvs

• anjabee
    16 years ago

That's cute PF. You could paint a little angel or something cute on the rock too. ~Anj

• nonacook
    16 years ago

Lots of ideas here!
    I always loved that prayer rock poem. Good to read it once more.

• paintin_fool
    16 years ago

Hi Luvs, I hope you're having a terrific trip, it sounds like alot of fun!
    I know it's probably a little late for more ideas, but just had to pass this one along - maybe you can use it another time. I've done these for several of my children's teachers over the years and they loved them. I'd paint the little terra cotta pots (4" or smaller) with black paint around the bottom and yellow around the rim/band. On the black area I'd paint ABC, 123, A+, #1 Teacher, etc. in white to look like chalk and then paint a little apple, pencils, books - any little school related thing. Then around the yellow rim I marked it off in inches and numbered it like a ruler. Inside I'd tie a little bundle of chalk with raffia, ribbon or string. A couple of them I personalized with "Ms. _____'s Chalk" or would paint "from:____ (child's name), etc.

Anyway, just though I'd throw my 2 cents in and let ya'll know I'm still here. Sorry I haven't been on here much...been trying to get some painting and other work done, and been out trying to find at least maybe a part-time job.

Also Luvs, just another idea - not so much for the school thing, but more for your personal use - I had this idea the last time I made a trip MS to CA. I picked up a rock in each state - tried to keep it something that looked rather indigenous to the area - and when I got home I was going to paint something on each one from it's native state, like the state flower, bird, motto, etc. and then use them to border a flower garden. I think I managed to get about 4 on that trip from CA, NM, AZ & TX before my sis told me I had to stop. I was getting 8-10" diameter rocks and she was afraid the back end of the car would be dragging the pavement if I got anymore!

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Cute idea Lynn. I may do some of those chalk pots for my kids teachers this year.

Love the rock story. :) ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lynn, the little flowerpot chalk holder is a neat idea. I told my niece about it too so she can use it sometime.

I had brought her one of my Jiffy Pops with the Gingerbread face painted on it. Told her Anj had done some using graphics printed on her printer. She liked that idea, so we found a cute snowman pattern and made 15 of them so far (all the Jiffy Pops she could find) and then she will make another 10 when she can find them. I took a couple of pics so I could post them here and on the crafts forum when I get home. She used a muted plaid Christmas fabric for the bow on it and made tags in red or green with "Just poppin by with a Holiday Hi" printed on them. Look really cute. Now she can hardly wait for Christmas to give them away. ;o)

I really appreciate all the ideas. Luvs