Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Diagnosis

Posted by paintingfool (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 22:57

I hope some of you were able to watch the Mystery Diagnosis episode tonight on Discovery Health. It was about the boy who went a year without being diagnosed with PANDAS. He went through H.... until they were able to find a doctor to prescribe the right medicine - an antibiotic, for the strep that caused his antibodies to attack his brain. I have mentioned it before that my little 9 year old grandson started having tics - both verbal and physical - last fall. He was diagnosed with Tourettes at first but after the blood tests showed his titers were off the chart due to a strep infection he was finally diagnosed with Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder Associated with Strep -PANDAS. He started a round of antibiotics and is now recovered. He still tics on occasion but it shows us he has come in contact with strep so he starts the antibiotics again. He will never be cured of the disorder but he will be able to manage it when the symptoms reoccur.

Hope yall don't mind me talking about it, I am part of the PANDA crew and we try to make sure the word is out so parents and family will know there may be a reason when there child starts exhibiting strange behavior. It could be due to a strep infection which can be detected by a smart open minded doctor and a simple blood test. Please pass the word.
Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Diagnosis

Bebe,

Missed the episode but am so glad for the information. It is so great that your GS has such a wonderful GM!

I had never heard of PANDA...but now will keep it in mind.

Belle

o

I didn't see that Bebe, but I think it is great that you are trying to get the message out there so others are aware of it. Glad your grandson is doing so much better too. Hugs, Luvs

o

Painting, is there a good website or link you can give that has more info on this? I'd love to learn more, and I've never heard of this before.

o

Thanks yall, yes there is a website - www.pandasfoundation.org. The disorder has only been diagnosed in the past 20 years but the foundation is working hard at getting more doctors aware of it. It is amazing to see the change in a child who is acting so strange with verbal outbursts, tics, movements they can't control, nightmares - then they take the antibiotic and they are back to normal.

Here is a link that might be useful: PANDAS RESOURCE NETWORK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here