Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Finished and posted

luvstocraft
16 years ago

Project is all done finally--decided to hang it on my side yard gate.

This area already had this little chain link fence and gate when we bought the house. We left it there--good place to put the dogs if repairmen come or if we have a get together and don't want the dogs around the food area. It's also like my little secret garden area, stuck a couple benches in there and have roses, rubber plants, geraniums, and several other plants in there.

I had a bunny head cutout hanging there, but it has seen better days so time to replace it anyway.

Thought it was a cute little pattern. Was mostly just basecoat, shade, then do the inked details.

Now time to start the next project. ;o)

Luvs

Comments (2)

• anjabee
    16 years ago

I just came from your post! I love it. Very summery. Glad you got it done. I really like it. How many coats of sealer do you usually put on it for outdoors?
    And I must ask, what is the plant behind it? It looks like a bleeding heart, but it's hard to gauge from the pic. Very pretty. I just got some bh seeds from my brothers plant and don't know how it will do from those. He's going to give me some honeysuckle too. I have wanted to have some running up my russian olive trees in the back, but the little plants at the nursery are $40 each!! Now I can maybe get some started from his. Have I ever mentioned I don't have the greenest of thumbs?? ha

We have a little dog run to put our dog when we have family things too. I've wanted to plant things on the outer perimeter of it, but DH keeps saying he's going to put a shed over in that corner and make the run smaller so I don't want to put in the work on it and then have to take it all out. I'll have enough work to do after the vinyl fence goes in. Just found out DH is going to put solar lights on the posts too. That is going to look sweet. Sorry, off daydreaming. ha There is always so much to do.
    Anyway, wanted to let you know that I saw your project and really enjoyed it. I'm very glad you got some painting time in!! ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Anj, Glad you liked my little sign. I seem to be drawn to those cutsey projects. I usually put three good coats of sealer on, then every once in awhile, I will walk around the yard and spray another coat on the wooden items. Have one on the wall that the paint is starting to flake off. I think it might be because it is in direct sun allot of the day, and the block wall probably gets pretty hot too. I find that the thicker wooden signs last longer than the thin ones. I think it is just harder to seal the edges on the thin wood, and it may be just layers too. Water and sun sure are hard on them. I am pleased if they last a couple years or so--then I'm pretty much ready for a change anyway.

That plant isn't a bleeding heart, but for the life of me I can't think what it is right now. I have three big ones that were here when we bought the house. I never even knew they grew that big, I had always seen them in pots. I'll let you know as soon as the name pops back in my head, okay? You know, these "senior' moments are so irritating. LOL

Oh, I love honeysuckle. Such a nice smell. My neighbor has night blooming jasmine, and I get to enjoy the fragrance of it--it's really nice too.

Those solar lights on the posts of your new fence will be so pretty. Know you can hardly wait to get that fence in so you can "decorate" with your plants beside it. Are you going to incorporate some "garden junk" too? I love the look of the bowling balls with the half marbles among the flowers. And the tipsy pots are fun. You can even paint the pots for an even cuter look. And you know I love the glass totems, but those might not be such a good idea for your yard with the kids playing and throwing balls and all.

I don't have much of a green thumb either. In fact, I totally gave up on growing houseplants. Most things here do pretty good outside where the sprinklers can hit them. Otherwise they are in trouble, because time gets away from me and I might think I just watered them only to realize that was a week ago! LOL

Well, better check the other forum real quick (yeah, who am I kidding?) and get some housecleaning done around here. I'll chat with you later.

Luvs