Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_shell_gw

Spray Sealers vs. Brush on

ms.shell
14 years ago

Hello, I am going to try this again. I am new comer and would like advise on how to paint 2 urns (bisque). I want to accent them in gold and then give them a matte gloss finish. Can I use any acrylic paint (gold antique) and then any spray sealer. Are spray sealers better than brush on. And one more questions, do I need to use a sealer before I paint on the gold. Help

Comments (3)

• pezabelle
    14 years ago

Hello ms.shell....glad to have you with us! Hope you come back often.

As to your urns.....wow.....lots of question that I don't know the answer to, as I have never painted on Bisque. Are the urns painted? if so, what kind of paint was used? When you say that you want to accent them in gold, is that a thin line of gold? If so, you might try Krylons 18kt.Gold Leafing Pen found at Michaels.

Using a sealer before you add the gold will allow you to carefully remove any errors.

As to the sealers, I use both. I always use spray on when I have used a marker to outline my project.

Sure hope some of the other ladies here can add more. A picture or two would really help.

Belle

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Hi and welcome to the forum, glad you found us and hope you will stick around and "play" here with us. ;o)

For an urn, I think I'd go with the spray sealer. You could use either the matte or gloss depending on your preferences. I like the idea of spraying before you add the gold--might save having to rebasecoat if you find you need or want to remove some of the gold.

Sounds like it will be a pretty urn--how about sharing some before and after pics with us? We love seeing everyone's projects. ;o)

Luvs

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Ms Shell,
    It's great to have a new one to join us here. As far as your Urns, are they fired and not glazed? Please give us more details and maybe we can help. Where will these be placed?

Belle and Luvs have given you good advise. I have never used the Gold Leafing Pen (only because I can't remember to buy one) I always paint my gold on my projects and always use water based brush on sealer for all my projects unless they will be used outside. If they are an outside project I use brush on and then also spray them. I repainted my foutain with acrylic paint last year and coated it with brush on and it is still looking great.

Have you searched the net for answers? There is always some sites who answer most questions one would have. Let us know what you end up doing and as Luvs suggested, please share pictures with your story about this project.

Again, welcome, it's always great to have more join in here.

Punk