Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anjabee

Luvs....

anjabee
16 years ago

I got a gardening question for you. Do you know anything about bulbs? My SIL just dug up a bunch of gladiolus bulbs and gave them to me. They are probably getting ready to sprout up. She said they have big root shoots. Is there anything special I need to do to them before I plant them in my bed? Since they are being transplanted now I'm wondering if they'll even bloom this year. Guess I'd better go over to the gardening forum and read up on them. I don't know what kind of sun they need or anything about them except that they were my g-pas favorite flower. ha

Hope you are doing good today. You need to quit sending all that rain over here. It just turns to snow by the time it gets here. ha Only a little tomorrow morning, but it should warm back up after that. I guess it should be expected in spring and we've had some nice warm days in between for which I'm grateful.

Are you working on anything special? I'm trying to get some work done today so that I can paint tomorrow or Friday all day.

Oh, did I tell you I got asked to come up with another craft for our church group? Do you remember seeing the post where the person glued red/white/blue flat marbles to the glass in a regular picture frame and it looked like an American flag? I wanted to look at it again, but can't find it anywhere. If you know what I'm talking about and remember where it is will you let me know? Also thinking of either a memory box covered with scrapbooking papers or using a cheap $1 store picture frame to paint a faux stained glass design on the glass using glass paints. Got any ideas off the top of your head? Guess I'd better visit crafts today too. ha Big sigh. At least this time I just have to come up with the craft and she's not making me teach the class! ha ~Anj

Comments (6)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi Anj, Don't know much about bulbs except that they need to be kept in a cool place and usually planted in the Fall. If your's already have a little green showing, I'd go ahead and get them planted right away. Hope you can find someone more experienced over on the gardening forum.

You should be okay on the rain/snow thing now, we haven't had anymore rain for the past couple of weeks! LOL

I'm really wanting to paint something, but haven't come up with exactly what yet. There are still a couple of Christmas things I'd like to get painted, but really past time for that kind of thing now--I should do some Spring/Garden/Summer type projects I think.

I have a couple of old shutters my neighbor gave me last year that I started spray painting so I can use them somewhere. I've got an inspiration pic around here somewhere that I saved for them.

See, you did such a good job last time that they want you to do a craft again! Told you so! LOL

I don't remember the red, white and blue glass item. But I do think something red,white and blue is a good idea--Americana is always popular.

I've been looking at several blogs lately, and it seems that allot of them are doing glitter words and altered art banners. I've also seen lots of little boxes covered in various papers with a little figurine (ballerina, bunny, bird) on top. Those are pretty cute, especially if you put a little of that "diamond dust" glitter on the figurine.

I actually picked up some cardstock so I could try my hand at making a couple of the "tussie mussie" cones that you can hang on a doorknob just to look cute. You can cover them in paper of fabric and decorate with pieces of lace, ribbon, rickrack, etc. Have you seen those? I have so many small amounts of fabrics and laces that I need to come up with something to use some of it up. Was sort of thinking of making a few to hang on neighbors door for a May Day surprise.

So did you get enough Spring cleaning and rearranging done to make you feel like you are ready for the new season? It sure is a good feeling sometimes just to have things sorted out and organized a bit. I was just looking at the shelf in my linen closet where I store placemats, tablecloths, and doilies. Everytime I pull something out, I mess the others up. Sort of thinking maybe they should go in a drawer and something else could be stored on the shelf.

Oh, I've been meaning to ask if you were surprised when you got back and saw the new posters on here? So nice to have some new people posting pics and talking to us isn't it? ;o)

Luvs

• anjabee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey....I got the house clean enough to paint yesterday. The kids are off school today and I'm gonna try to do a little more. I had a little TS wood bunny piece that I worked on yesterday. It had a few pieces that I had to use my creativity to figure out how it went and draw my own design on it so hopefully it will turn out cute. ha It's still in pieces and I just have to seal it, put it together and find a little piece of dowel for it. I have to go to Lowes today anyway so I can pick that up there. I painted a little star shelf for my bathroom black and I'm gonna try to finish that mini washboard I started a while back and maybe my brothers boat.

Thank you for the craft suggestions. I will look up the tussie mussies to see what they are. I think I know, but I don't know if I ever knew what they were called.

I am excited to have so many new people on the forum. That's why I wanted to hurry up and post something new before they lose interest and leave us. ha Not that I mind just chatting with just you. ha

On the bulbs, I got them from my DB and they are already shooting up about 3 inches so I guess you are right I'd better get them in the ground quickly. I didn't find any helpful information on the bulb forum. There are a bunch of bulbs that they just put out at Lowes and Home Depot so I guess there are some you can put in in the spring for late summer bloom. I was in a hurry so I didn't get to see which ones they were, but I'll look today when I go.

Thanks for all your help. I'm gonna get to painting so I can hopefully post something today. ~Anj

• anjabee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been looking at the tussie mussies and that may be a good one to do for a large group. Do you have any favorite sites or tutorials that you can pass on to me? I like the smaller ones as ornies and I see that they can be made with the scrapbook papers for any holiday. I saw that one site was doing a swap and they just used birthday hats and covered them with cloth or paper. Kinda good idea. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Anj, let me go find a couple of sites for you and I'll come back and post them. Most that I've seen were on blogs.

I figured it would be easy to use spray on glue on cardstock, then put on a pretty paper or fabric. Fold it and secure with hold glue, or staples, then add bits of lace, ribbon, buttons, etc. Oh, and go look at the site Oddie posted on the craft forum for button flowers--they are so cute--I'd like to try some of those for hair barettes for little GD, but they would sure be cute on the cones too.

To do them for a class, don't you think it would be best to already have the cones ready and just let everyone decorate them? Of course, you need to have a couple made up for samples. I think some shredded paper or some silk flowers in the samples would be cute--or candy! (Can't miss with candy!) LOL

Luvs

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi Anj, Here's a link to one of my favorite ones. It's roses and girly, but there are some that are not so frilly too--I'll post a site for those in just a minute for you. Luvs

Here is a link that might be useful: Floral tussie mussie

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

One more sample using buttons--can't find the less frilly ones I've seen. I'll probably run across them when I'm not trying to find them! LOL

Luvs

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorated cones

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio