Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Cold weather-Yuck!

luvstocraft
17 years ago

Hi all, First I have to tell you that I love the quotation at the top of this page! So true, huh?

Okay, I had sort of forgotten all the really bad stuff about cold weather--like that when it freezes, it harms plants! My poor plants look so pitiful after that frozen slush and now the low temps! Even my geraniums which are usually pretty hardy have shriveled up leaves from freezing. And my Angels Trumpet with the big yellow blooms--I hope I can save it, it just looks awful. My plants are not winter hardy--and I've not had to worry about that before since southern California is supposed to be a WARM climate! I imagine people in other southern states are having the same problems. I love my plants--and now I feel like they are sick and I don't know how to help them! LOL

I know the cold is miserable, and especially the wind. I know it's dangerous driving or walking on ice, I know winter is often dreary and gloomy--that's why I put up with the traffic, smog, and high prices here so I could avoid all of that. Maybe there is something to global warming--or maybe this is just part of a cycle of the air flows that comes around every 20 years or so--whatever the cause, I'm sure not happy about it.

Okay, now I feel better that I got to rant on and on about this. Anyone else want to vent?

Now I will try to find the "bright" side and move on. Hey--the sun is out today! Maybe it will be warm again soon.

Luvs

Comments (6)

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

Luvs, I know how you feel. I would move further south except I don't want to be away from my kids. For us a few days of cold weather and then it warms up again which isn't so bad. We have had rain but no ice and it hasn't snowed here in 14 years. Now that I am retired I don't have to go outside unless I want to - and believe me I don't want to. When the weather is gloomy I try painting but lately I have been going through my stuff and reading my painting books.

Hope you are able to save those plants.
    BEBE

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Luvs~ I want to gripe some more too!! I'm sorry when anybody has to endure the cold, especially when you moved there to escape it. I can hardly bear it myself (it's only 18 degrees here right now and it feels like it's all trying to come in my windows and down my fireplace) brrr. I don't know if any of my plants that I put in last spring will make it. Most of them are under more than a foot of snow and the temps have been in the single digits so much the past few weeks. Bummer. I was hating it seeing Gov. Schwarzenegger walking thru the orange groves there on the news. I love oranges and we get ours from CA here.
    They aren't letting the kids out for recess partly because of the freezing temps but also because the inversion is so bad that it's not good to breath the air outside. The poor little birds out on my tree are so puffed up trying to stay warm they look like they are about to explode. ha I should try to remember to get some feed for them. DH has to take a pitcher of warm water out to his car when he leaves work because his doors and locks are frozen shut. I told him to put vaseline on it (supposed to work), but he's hardheaded. Then it takes him an extra hour to get home cause he's spending it in the parking lot trying to help all the ladies clean off their cars and unstick their doors. Always the gentleman.
    Can we be done with winter yet??? Pleeeeeeeze!! I swear that I am going to spend every waking moment of the spring and summer out in the warmth. (Well, except the time it takes to check in with you ladies) :)
    Cold weather....YUCK!!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, Anj, I am sorry to be complaining when your temps are so much lower than mine! My cousin emailed me pics of that horrible storm in western Kansas. Brings back so many memories of shoveling snow and cleaning off cars. Your DH sounds like my oldest brother--if he got off work first, he would always go to my SIL's work before she got off and clean her car off and warm it up for her. While he waited for her, he cleaned the other cars off too. I always thought that was so wonderful.

PF, don't you just love to curl up with your favorite books and a warm drink? I usually use the winter months to go back through all my collected magazines and tear out things I want to keep so I can toss the rest. So many times, things that didn't really interest me before are the exact thing I'm really into now. Love it when that happens--but it does make me hesitate about parting with any of them! LOL It's also a good time for organizing all our painting and crafting STUFF, isn't it?

You two keep warm, and we'll talk more later.

Luvs

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

You are so right. I love reading - in the summer with a glass of ice tea and the winter I love International Coffee French Vanilla or Capuccino. I have saved a lot of painting magazines over the years but finally decided to go through them and tear out what I knew I would be interested in and toss the rest. That was so hard to do. I still cannot part with my Decorative Artist yet, have 20 year supply. Part of my "Library" is in the bathroom. I could never go there without reading material LOL, it seems my children and grand children do the same thing. My husband says it takes me longer to pee than anyone he knows.

This weather has made it a good time for me to organize so that is what I am doing today. I have so much material that I need to go through - I love material and furs- always looking for special stuff for the Santas I make. I will have to post a picture of the next Santa I make.

I feel so bad for those who are dealing with the ice and snow. To be without electricity is awful, went through that after Hurricane Ivan, 95% of our county was without power. We had none for several weeks but I wised up and bought a generator. Little did I know that you can't get gas if there is no power because the pumps won't work. So now I stock up on that to. It was an awful time and the weather was extremely hot. But I can always cool off with a shower or jumping in the pool, for some reason I can never get warm enough if there isn't enough heat.

Your husbands sound like mine. He is always looking out for me, even coming to my work to fill up my gas tank because I hate to pump it. I always tell him I have to die first because I don't know what I would do if he wasn't around. I am going to get a taste of it next week, he is going to the Orient to play golf for several weeks, I will be off to the children's house to sleep - you know I am too scared to stay by myself at night - just a big wuss!!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wait a minute, PF--you were a military wife! We LEARN how to not be afraid to spend nights alone--especially when they get sent on those long tours of duty.

I would love to see your santas you make. I've made a couple of stuffed dolls, one is a raggedy anne and the other was just a cloth bunny. I mostly sew just for crafts. I've always loved material too--all the colors and textures--so many posibilities. I see that in a nice piece of wood now too. LOL

How miserable to be without power for several days. The thought of those hurricanes scares me. Of course, the earthquakes out here scare me too.

TTYL

Luvs

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

Luvs, I was a military wife who was never afraid while living on base, only after we moved off base. Never could get over that guy breaking in my house when my husband was on a Med cruise. It has been 36 years and I still have that fear at night.

I love sewing also. I will make a Santa soon. I have made so many to sell or as gifts but I don't have one for myself. I am going to try finishing up my house, I still need curtains in my Florida room and figure while hubby's away I will do a bit of "decorating".

I hope to paint fairies on my grand daughters walls one day while she is in school.

BEBE