Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anjabee

Whatcha working on???

anjabee
16 years ago

I've actually been painting! Been so long I know it's hard to believe. ha Have a snowman screen partially done, but I sprayed it with clear sealer outside and it was so cold it froze the sealer and turned it white, so now I have to go back over some of it. Grrr. Thought at first I had done Luvs trick with the white spray paint!

Got some big letters painted for my kids to hang above their beds. And I'm in the middle of painting a Renee Mullins design on a thin wood piece I got at the TS.

Gotta get my house de-Christmased so I can get back to my projects today.

What are ya'll working on? ~Anj

Comments (6)

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

Hi Anj, I went to the stores and purchased a lot of wood and porcelain ornaments - you know the kind they have out for Christmas crafts. Anyway, they were 66% off at Hobby Lobby and only 50% off at Michaels. I will teach these at our Ornament Painting Day at my painting chapter. Sometimes they have the face outlined on the wood piece but I do my own anyway. I always buy up enough so the members attending the class can paint the same item and get the packet for less than a dollar. I have to clean up my studio - during the holidays it gets really bad because I have so much to do and don't take the time to put things back in the right place. And I can't paint until everything is organized again. I still have a Santa and Snowman to sew before I start anything else. How was your Christmas? I have just started putting some of the decorations away and since I am retired I can take my time and hopefully do a better job at organizing the storage.

It is so cold today - 33 degrees and the wind chill will be down in the single digits tonight - but it will be back up to 68 degrees by the weekend so I guess we can stand a few nights of cold. I just can't go out in it because it will take hours for me to warm up again. Why did I ever leave Hawaii?

• anjabee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bebe~ did you live in Hawaii or just visit??? Just found out I am going in March. DH's work is taking us for a week or 2...all expenses paid + spending money when we get there! I've never been before. Heard it's casual casual casual. Is that true? Trying to figure out what I need to buy for the trip. No summery clothes in the stores here until well after that so I'll be shopping online. That is hit and miss with me so need to start shopping early. Can you give me any tips?

My Christmas was fantastic. Hope yours was as well. I got the tree down today and everything stacked in one place and ready to go into the boxes, but haven't got the boxes down from the attic yet. Too cold up there. ha Oh gosh, sounds like you are having a taste of our weather. I don't go out much at this time of the year either. Feels like it freezes my bones. I tense up so much it really hurts my bad back to get cold too. I stay nice and warm in my house at a toasty 76 degrees. I burn DH out. ha They may not get me back from Hawaii! hahaha ~Anj

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

We lived there for 5 years. My husband was in the Navy and we lived in military housing but I absolutely loved it there. Once I got over the fear of being so far away from my family with 2 children under the age of 6 and my husband leaving me for a WESTPAC cruise just two weeks after we got there!!! I finally realized that I can't get lost on an island, just look to Diamond Head which is east, the mountains to the north and the ocean to the south.

It is always warm there so you can't go wrong with shorts and t-shirts, and flip flops. It is so casual there but you might want to bring something dressier but still casual for going out in the evening. The one sure way to tell who is a tourist is to see a white male with an aloha shirt on, a camera around his neck, wearing socks with his sandels - and really white legs. LOL. The last time I went was 1997 for a visit to my in-laws who live on Oahu. It was in January and it got a little chilly in the evenings but I think March is really nice weather.

Which island are you going to visit? We lived on Oahu in Pearl City. It took a long time for me to adjust to the weather here in Florida after returning, it doesn't get cold until January but I was freezing in October. And my children had to get use to wearing sneakers instead of flip flops. As soon as we got aclimated, we were transferred to Cuba for two years where it is also very warm. I feel the same way when it gets so cold. My muscles get so tense I end up with soreness and headaches. I am happy when the house is between 75-78 degrees but my hubby says he can't stand it. I just tell him to take off his clothes and cool off (but he usually thinks that is an invitation for other things).

I just know you are going to love your trip. We hope to visit my inlaws later this year - I have to lose a little weight first, those seats are getting smaller every year.

• anjabee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just don't know how you military wives do it. I guess you find hidden strength when you need it. I don't deal well with change, but I guess you can get used to anything if ya have to.

The latest update gotten only moments ago is that we are going to Maui. DH's company has talked about opening a floor in Hawaii so I may be moving there one of these days. ha If it's warm all year round that's my kinda place! Plus, I'm a totally casual kinda girl. I should fit right in. ha I will probably bring a warm hoodie or windbreaker just in case. I'm always cold. I started my diet yesterday girl. ha And I'll be hitting the tanning bed before I go so as not to scare away the locals with my blinding whiteness. ha I'll keep DH in check with his vacation wear.....no floral prints or socks with the sandals. ha He wouldn't wear that anyway thankfully. Thanks for the good tips. I'm a little nervous as I've never left my kids before for more than a day. They are 13,9,7 and 3. They will be staying with G-ma, but I will still be a nervous wreck I'm sure. ha ~Anj

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

You are still a youngster. I have two and they are now 37 and 41 - wow they grow up so fast. Military life was hard but rewarding. I was only 24 years old when we moved to Hawaii and we didn't know my dh's ship was already in Japan and he had to meet it there. I was so scared! The traffic was horrible - and I was a minority - I was a thin caucasion with long blonde hair from the South who didn't understand why you couldn't smile and say hello to everyone - we do that here but it can't be done everywhere. It could have gotten me in trouble if not for a wise neighbor who explained to me that the men might get the wrong idea and the ladies might think I was after their man. Geez - I was really naive.

I never went to Maui but heard it is the most beautiful of all the islands. I heard it smells like flowers all the time. The Big Island is one of those places where you can snow ski on the top of the mountain in the morning and then swim in the ocean in the evening.

I know what you mean about leaving the children - my son was 18 the first time I left him by himself for two days but I was so nervous I cut our trip short and came home after one night! He was sure disappointed that he wasn't on his own for a little longer.

• anjabee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, that would be scary. Glad you didn't get in trouble with your friendliness. You are right, things are much more laid back and relaxed and friendly in the South compared to other places. Even here in Utah when we pass someone we say hey, how are ya... they look at you like you are about to jump on them and rob them or something. ha They are friendly after you get to know them, but up front there is definitely a wall you have to get past. ~Anj

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville