Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprilwhirlwind

little girls and their dolls: maybe this will give you a chuckle

aprilwhirlwind
17 years ago

When my daughter was 2 I gave her her first vinyl doll with hair. She loved that doll and used to carry it around everywhere, usually by the hair.

That summer DH had a yen to plant radishes in our garden, so while we were pulling radishes, I looked over at my little girl and remarked to Dh how that doll reminded me of a giant radish (DH planted way too many radish seeds).

Well, Ashley heard the word radish and she liked it. She started calling the doll Radish, and so she remained.

Her next doll was a Strawberry Shortcake, and Ashley called her that. Later she got another doll and decided to name her Cherry Pie. The doll after that she named Lasagna.

All this came to mind because while she was home for Christmas I asked her the name of the china doll I appropriated from her trunk to sit under the Christmas tree. She said her name was Peach Pie.

Comments (5)

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Very funny. Does she still have a food fetish? ha Just kidding. I came up with some different names for my dolls and they all had to have middle names as well. Never named any of them after a food that I can remember though. Too cute.
    MY DS called one of his stuffed animals Spike and when we were looking for names for DD he said her name was gonna be Spike too and so she was called by everyone until she was born. ha Then he decided he would call her by her name, Neleh (Helen spelled backwards and pronounced Ne-lee-a) I still go for the different names. ha Does your DD have kids yet?? She could always go with Gwyneth Paltrows name for her DD....Apple I believe it was. ;) ~Anj

• aprilwhirlwind
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Was it Tom cruise and Katie whats'her name who named their baby Suri? In Lithuanian that means cheese.
    DD is a very independant young woman who has no interest in having kids any time soon.
    Actually, when she was 13 I burned my hand severly and couldn't use it for an entire summer. She wound up taking care of her 1 year old brother quite a bit. Diaper changing, bathing, and dressing little guys who didn't want to get dressed taught her a lot!

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

What a cute story about your daughter. Does she know this is a happy memory for you?

I've noticed that my little 2yr old GD really picks up on words she likes the sound of. Sometimes she will repeat a word that we say and then say "that silly word". Right now she is in a phase of running up to tickle her Grandpa so he will say "You better watch it!" She giggles and repeats it back to him. Even comes to me to tell me what Grandpa said. Kids are just too cute!

I often like the sound of unusual names--but just know that the poor person with it will spend the rest of their life having to spell it for other people! ;o(

Luvs

• aprilwhirlwind
    Original Author
    17 years ago

*I often like the sound of unusual names--but just know that the poor person with it will spend the rest of their life having to spell it for other people!"
    ..........like me. I married a guy with a last name that is spelled EXACTLY as it sounds. Not only do I have to spell my exotic first name, I have to spell my last name too.
    My youngest son went through a very long phase when he was 4 and 5 of calling people things like Tomato, or Potato or Pickle. Of course, when he was 4 he also went through a period when he wanted to be called Mr.(our last name), or Big Snake.

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

When my niece was about 2 years old I would always address her as "sugar pie", you know how southerners are, "come on over here and give me some suga, sugar pie." She associated that with me and called me "Shu Pie" for the longest time. Both my children called me BeBe until they were about 5 because it was what they heard my husband call me. They are both in their late 30's now so I don't remember the words they used when they were small but I do remember my son thinking he was invisible when he had sunglasses on, if he met some one he didn't like or was just in one of his moods, he would put on those sunglasses and ignore everyone.