Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Good morning--Wednesday

luvstocraft
17 years ago

Hi all, We are finally getting some rain. Was afraid it would pass us by--not that I like dreary days (my DS loves them) but we need all the rain we can get so I don't have to hear those dreaded words "water rationing" in the summer. Had that a couple years ago--could only water on specific days, couldn't wash your car in your driveway, etc. So many people have so much invested in time and money on their yards--and "brown" is not my favorite color! So I am always thankful when we get rain.

Yes, I know some of you are getting snow. Makes it hard to get out and about safely, but you have to admit it is beautiful to see the flakes falling, and wake up to a blanket of clean white on everything. Really nice if you are able to stay indoors! Ha ha

Anybody making any good soups or stews? DH and I had chicken pot pies the other night--they were just the Marie Callendar ones, but tasted really good. I think I will slow cook a roast with onion soup in my oven today--will help warm the house and it smells so good. Do all of you do that one? You just put foil in a pan then a frozen chuck roast, sprinkle it with Lipton onion soup, wrap it up tight, put it in a 250 degree oven and let it cook all day. It makes the most wonderful broth which can be thickened for gravy. It can cook six or so hours and is melt in your mouth tender. So easy--I love it.

Gotta go, will check back in later. Luvs

Comments (11)

• anjabee
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I make that too Luvs. It is yummy, but we inject ours too with different injection sauces. My DH is usually the stew maker, but I have a few soups that the kids like. They are usually something thick and cheesy. ha Who doesn't like cheese? Being from the south, we also have a wonderful spicy Crawfish Chowder that everyone raves over. We make that every few weeks or so. It makes a lot so we usually have some to share.

Gosh, I'm so tired. Went to bed at midnight and had to get up at 4am to take my Dad to the airport in the snow! His 1/2 brother in MS took a turn and is not expected to live much longer so I booked tickets for him yesterday and he flew out this morning.
    This is one morning I didn't mind the snow! We had so much inversion that it was dangerous to breath outside and it was so dreary and smoggy and now after the snow the sun can actually get thru and it's wonderful. Supposed to snow again tonight.
    Well, I made another trip to the TS yesterday and found a few more things to work on. Found some wooden snowmen ornaments with rusty bells in cutouts in their middles that I can paint for my tree next year, but not in the mood for painting snowmen. Gotta get going to paint on some Easter things.
    (My SIL called in the middle of my typing this so it's been sitting here for an hour so now I really gotta get painting.) Later~Anj

• gram_NH
    17 years ago

Good morn, now Thurs.! Keep forgetting to come over to this side.

We've never tried MC's pot pies, but if they are half as good as her fruit pies...they have to be good! If you like berries...you absolutly have to try her 'Razzle Berry' pie! Kind of pricey but soooooo worth it!

Hubby is not a big soup eater...meat, potatoes and veg! One soup I do make is the Weight Watchers cabbage based soup. Had it at a friend luncheon. She didn't tell us till after we ater that it was a WW recipe. It is wonderful and freezable...also it is what they call a freebie...guess you can eat all you want.

That roast sound wonderful. I have always done my pot roasts on top of the stove..brown add liquid and simmer all day. With this cold weather, I will try it in the oven. Am I correct...you don't add any liquid? Just the dry soup mix and wrap!

Hubby did say the other day that maybe we should start cooking some cassaroles. Haven't done any for years. Anyone have any good recipes for those!

It is hard cooking for two. I love it when the kids say they are coming over on the weekend....much more fun to cook big!

One of the GD's is coming this weekend...she asked me to make her favorite choc. cake. If she new it had zucchini in it she would die! She also thinks it is from scratch, it is not!

Here is the recipe, if you would like to try it. It is the moistess ( is that a word?¿)

1 pkg Duncan Hines Dark Fudge mix
    1 tsp cinnamon
    3 eggs
    1 1/4 cp water
    1/2 cp veg oil
    1 cp shredded unpeeled zucchini

Combine ingredients, except zucchini, and beat at med. speed for 2 min. Stir in zucchinni. Pour into greased and floured bundt pan and bake at 350 for 50 to 60 min. Test with tooth pick. Cool in pan 25 min and then invert pan. Let cool completly and frost with Cream Cheese frosting.

Yummy, yummy!

You all have a safe day!

• gram_NH
    17 years ago

Whoops...forgot the soup recipe!

Vegetable Soup from Weight Watchers
    Ingredients

2/3 c sliced carrot
    ½ c diced onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    3 c broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable)
    1 ½ c diced green cabbage
    ½ c green beans
    1 T. tomato paste
    ½ tsp. dried basil
    ¼ tsp. dried oregano
    ¼ tsp. salt
    ½ c diced zucchini
    In a large saucepan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, saute carrot, onion and garlic over low heat until softened - about 5 minutes.
    Add broth, cabbage, beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered about 15 min. or until beans are tender.
    Stir in zucchini and heat 3-4 minutes. Serve hot.

I change it around a lot and always double or triple the recipe. I use olive oil instead of spray. I use the frozen french style green beans which can be added the last few min.
    Also...chopped frozen spinach! I just have to remember the more veggies I add..the more broth I may need. I also add a few red pepper flakes or hot sauce. Sure does warm the tummy!

Now...all this food talk...I am starving and need to go grocery shopping!

Have a great day!

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Only have a sec, but Gram~ my kids favorite chocolate cake also has zucchini in it! I always have tons of zuchs in the summer and I try to use them in everything. Yours is a little less involved than mine and I like the box cake mix idea. Will definitely be trying it.
    Thanks for the recipes. I have quite a few casserole recipes that I can share with you. I don't have time right now since I am heading to the grocery store (my cat is out of food and whining), but I'll go thru and find some for you later. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Anj, and Gram, Not quite 9 o'clock here, and you guys are making me hungry!

Anj, I know your Uncle will be glad you Dad came to see him. Glad you were able to get your Dad to the airport safely, and hope you were able to squeeze in a little nap.

Injection sauces--that's a new thing for me. Never heard of it. How do you do that and where do you buy the sauces.

Gram, you are right--no water needed. Just use a frozen roast and enough foil to sort of "tent" it and then fold the ends in and roll the top down to seal the steam and juices in. The best part is that you don't have to watch it all day. Completely different flavor than our stove top roasts. I do that too because we love roast and homemade noodles.

My DH won't eat casseroles much! I love them, but he is strictly meat, potatoes, and vegetable--and mostly just green beans and corn, sometimes carrots or mixed veggies. Once in a great while I can get him to eat some cantelope or watermelon--he's not too interested in fruits either. Good thing he takes his vitamins!

Gram, I know what you mean about cooking for two. I seldom make the extra things I like except when we have company--then I can add lots more variety--and enjoy the leftovers too! Ha ha I do buy fruits and some additional vegetables that I like. Things I can cook in smaller quantity.

You two are sneaky--getting your younguns to eat veggies--hidden in their cakes! Ha ha I do love zuchinni in cakes, it does seem to make them more moist.

Better get moving, want to check out the weather and see if I can trim some more of my roses. I am cutting them all back before they start getting their new spring growth. Really hard to cut them, some have new blooms on them now in spite of the cooler weather we have been having. I'm leaving those bushes until the last so I can enjoy their blooms a little while longer. ;o)

Have a good one. Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Just have another sec, but I will get those recipes posted soon.
    Luvs~ we use what is called a Cajun Injector that we got in Louisiana and the sauces are by the same name. We find some of them at Walmart over by the bbq sauces, but they don't have a big selecion. Have to go online to get different ones or wait until somebody from back home sends us a care package. ha The injector(A big needle) comes with it most of the time. I've noticed that they do have a different name brand at Walmart now too, but haven't tried those yet. We usually inject the garlic one into roasts. We've done several different kinds in fried turkeys too. You can even make up your own and and inject it. It just puts some good flavor right into the center of the meat. I don't know if you can do it with a frozen roast though. I usually inject mine, brown it in a pan first, then put it in the oven with the soup mix.

Yea, I shred up zucchini in the kids spagetti too and they never know it's there. ha Their absolute favorite thing is my zucchini bread. It is really good. DH and I love it mixed with yellow squash and fried down. It's not very good for you the way we do it (involves a lot of bacon), but sooooo yummy. :)

Too bad about DH not eating casseroles, they are so good and easy.
    Shoot there goes the phone. Better go. ~Anj

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Here are a few of our favorite casseroles. I don't know that they would win any healthy awards, but they are good. ~Anj

CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE
    1/2 stick butter
    1 cup uncooked rice
    2 cups water
    1 pkg Lipton Onion Soup mix
    Raw chicken pieces (whatever you prefer, whole or cut up)
    1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
    1/2 lb link sausage, sliced
    In a 9x13 pan pour melted butter over onion soup mix and stir. Add rice and water; stir again. Place chicken over rice (I added a little spice to chicken) and spoon mushroom soup over chicken. Place sausage slices over the top. Cover and bake @ 350 degrees for 1 hour or until chicken is done. (I cook uncovered for about 15 minutes at the end to brown up the sausage.)

Chinese Chicken Casserole

2 cups cooked, cubed chicken, turkey, beef or pork
    2 cups cooked rice (use minute rice if you're in a hurry)
    1 full cup mayonnaise
    2 TBL soy sauce
    2 TBL finely minced onion (processor great) or substitute 2 TBL. chopped green onions
    1 - 15 oz. can LaChoy chinese vegetables, drained & rinsed in a colander
    1 - 4 oz. can sliced water chestnuts, drained & rinsed in a colander
    Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Place in a greased casserole (deeper one works well, like a square corningware or something - the 13x9 will dry out a bit). Cover with lid or foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until bubbly and just browning on top.

Chicken Broccoli Casserole
    2 lg broccoli heads, cut up (you can probably use frozen, but I never have. I don't like the stems and I like to cut my broccoli up kind of small)
    boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked & cubed (I usually do about 2-3 large ones.)
    2 cans Campbells cream of chicken soup
    1 can Campbells cream of celery soup
    5 heaping Tbls mayonaisse
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    rice (enough for your family)
    Mix first 5 ingredients together in a 13x9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Take it out and sprinkle cheese over the top. Return it to the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese. You can eat this like it is, but we prefer it over rice. Even kids who swear they hate broccoli will like this one.

Pork Chop Casserole (serves 4)
    4 Pork Chops
    4 cups sliced potatoes
    1 can cream of celery soup
    1 cup milk
    2 T. chopped onion
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp pepper, or to taste
    Grated American Cheese (I just use Cheddar)
    Season & brown pork chops. Place potatoes in greased 2 quart baking dish. Mix together soup, milk, onion, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes. Place pork chops over potatoes; sprinkle cheese over all. (I put the cheese under my chops) Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for about 60 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

Chilaquiles Verde Bake
    Serves 4

1 can Campbells Creamy Chicken Verde Soup
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup water
    2 cups cubed cooked chicken
    2 cups frozen broccoli flowerets (I used fresh and had to cook it longer)
    4 corn tortillas (6'), cut into strips
    1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Mix soup, sour cream, water, chicken, broccoli and tortillas.

Spread in a 2 qt shallow baking dish. Top with cheese. Cover.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until hot.

Mexican Chicken Casserole

2-3 Boneless/skinless chicken breasts
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 can cream of celery soup
    1 can rotel tomatoes
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 bag tortilla chips
    Grated cheddar cheese

Boil chicken in a little onion until done. Cool and chop into bite-sized pieces. Mix soups and rotel tomatoes together. Add chicken broth to soup mix. Crunch up tortilla chips. Put chicken, chips and soup mixture into a 9x13 baking pan and mix all together. Bake at 350* for 15-20 minutes. Add lots of cheese to top. Bake til cheese melts, then eat.

• gram_NH
    17 years ago

Wow, Anj, Thanks!!

Your timing is as perfect as those recipes. Boneless/skinless chicken breasts just went on sale for 1.99 a lb. at a market near hubbys work, and just before (like 2 seconds) I popped in here I told him to pick up a few big pkgs on his way home!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for posting those Anj, they all sound good, I like the ones that people REALLY cook. Some of the ones in the mags are just too unrealistic.

There are two of those that I might get DH to like. I'm going to give it a try anyway. So nice to be able to put everything in a pan and pop it in the oven. Then just a salad and maybe some bread and you are all set.

Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

I hope ya'll enjoy them. You know that crockpots and casseroles are a busy mom's (& grandmom's) best friend. ;)They aren't too fancy, but fairly quick and tasty. Pretty basic so you can always put your own twist on them for your own families. Like one of my friends took the Pork Chop Casserole and added a layer of blanched green beans and they like it that way. Another friends husband doesn't eat broccoli so she substitutes asparagus. Ya'll are probably some good cooks and can do that better than I can.
    Gram~ didn't really notice that they are mostly chicken, but we do use a lot of chicken at our house. :)
    Luvs~ I like quick and simple food. Don't like the recipes that have ingredients that I've never heard of and can't find at my grocery. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Anj, I subscribed to Quick Cooking magazine for a couple of years--didn't renew when they changed it--didn't like it as much then. But they had recipes from cooks all over the U.S., and many were so good. My DIL and I have used lots of them. I think they still have online recipes too--real food for real people. I agree about the ones with things I've never heard of--or if the list of ingredients is longer than my weekly grocery list! LOL Some of the ones I see even in Better Homes and Gardens are just too far out for our tastes--we just like good country cookin. Luvs

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022