SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imamommy

Little annoyances

imamommy
14 years ago

This isn't necessarily a stepfamily issue.... but what I believe makes it SF related is my lack of authority with a child that is not mine. If my kids do something, I call them on it, I handle it, and there is nobody to go running to... when my SD does something and gets called on it, she runs to her mom, we get a nasty email or phone call (or it gets included in court papers), etc. With my two younger kids, I had them 100% of the time and they literally had nobody to whine to. My son whined to me about his dad but I told him "that's your dad's house, his rules!" and as far as I know, his dad did the same because I didn't get rants from that side. I believe my son behaved in both homes according to each set of rules because of that. It just drives me nuts that BM keeps SD believing that BM has some sort of authority to change our rules in our house.

Well, twice in the past week SD was caught eavesdropping. Our room is at the end of the hall and there is a vent above our door that makes it easy to hear if you are standing in the hall. In the morning, DH and I talk while he is getting ready for work. SD is supposed to get herself ready (her room is on the other side of the house) and both times, we opened the door to leave & there she is... she goes into the bathroom (which is down the hall) really quickly and acts like she's brushing her hair or teeth.

It is flat out IRRITATING! We are not talking about her, her mom or anything top secret... mostly business stuff, but it's NONE of her business. I had a talk with her a few weeks ago about repeating things to her mom... she will go tell her mom something (based on HER interpretation of reality) and BM will call DH or send a nasty email... one time it escalated to her calling the police because she said I told everyone at the school she (BM) was pregnant, which never happened. It's ridiculous! I don't expect SD to never tell her mom anything that happens at our house.. we don't keep secrets. But, I don't need her hearing half a story, guessing at the other half and going back with her recreated scenario and then dealing with an irate BM. I know SD tells her this stuff because that has become a part of THEIR relationship and SD wants her mom's attention as well as 'friendship'. But, I have also told SD that there is a lack of trust between me and her because she has lied on me so many times.. not just repeating bad information. If she tells BM something that is true... I may not like BM to know everything but if it's true, it's true. I can't get angry about that. I do get angry when SD LIES about me and DH and it really annoys me when she gathers information to feed her mom.

I'm not sure if there is any advice to help the situation but I kinda felt the need to vent about it. After everything SD has done this year... lied about us to the court mediator & her counselor... failed two semesters in school 'on purpose'.... and the way she has treated me for the last year (ignoring me until she wants something... then writes me a note asking for what she wants and includes "I love you IMA" because she thinks she can manipulate me?)... she gave DH her Christmas wish list. She wanted: a cell phone, a laptop, and an ipod. I got her two outfits, a jacket, and new sheets for her bed. She gave me nothing but dirty looks for the past two weeks. She needed a costume for her play, she asked a friend at school to help her out. She didn't go see Santa, though she wrote him a letter saying she wanted to go see him. She asked her mom but she didn't take her... she didn't ask me of course, she was too busy ignoring me. Since she was ignoring me, I decided to go ahead and let her. When I baked cookies, she sat in her room. When we went shopping, she didn't ask to buy her dad anything this year. For the past three years, I have taken her to buy a gift for her dad and even bought her mom something. The last two years, I bought gifts for her sister and her mom's boyfriends kids. This year since she wasn't talking to me, I didn't offer. I'm just frustrated with her and what I feel like is this strong alliance she has with her mom against me. It kinda put a damper on the holidays this year. (besides being self employed in this crappy economy, my son being deployed & dealing with my crazy DIL ~ & taking care of their baby all the time... I really do not need the crap I get from BM) Why can't she see that when she puts her daughter in a position to spy for her.. it is going to make living with us MORE difficult? Why would any mom want her child in that position? (that's a rhetorical question of course... no GOOD mother would do that to their child!) UGH!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County