SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_of_2_5

more Christmas lists...

mom_of_2.5
15 years ago

So, we got our tree up and decorated, everyone participated and it's great. Then the kids get started making wish lists. When I was a kid we got the Penny's catalog on Thanksgiving at Grandmas house, and made lists for our Grandparents. We made lists because our Grandparents didn't know us at all. I have nothing against a LITTLE want, but it's my opinion kids should not pass out lists. If someone doesn't know any of the kids well enough to chose their own gift then they really shouldn't be buying them anything. Meaning while my friends who call themselves aunties to my kids will buy them gifts, I don't at all expect casual friends or friends of friends to gift our kids at all.

Anyhow, my SS 9 made a list that includes, World of Warcraft, Dell Laptop, Iphone, and on and on. I really felt sick to my stomache by the materialism, greed, and selfishness this list displayed. It was a complete page of things not appropriate for his age or way overpriced.

So, we sit to talk to him about how lucky we are for all the things we have and how Christmas is the season of GIVING not of getting. We talked about how it's not HIS Birthday we're celebrating, and even went to "thou shall not want". SS crumbles up his list throws it in the trash, gets a new page and writes "nothing" then presents it to his Dad, saying "this is what I want for Christmas" I bit my tongue resisting the urge to tell him I'd be happy to get him just that. He then spent the next hour in his room (voluntarily)until time to return to mom.

I just thought the whole thing is sad. And I really don't know what to do with that. My 13yo doesn't feel a need to make a list, and my 8 yr old simply asked for his very own package of oreo's his very own 2 liter of soda(things I don't often buy them), and a couple games for his DS. I know my SS is not the only kid who shoots for the moon, but does anyone else have these drastic differences between bio/step children? He seems to think we owe him the most expensive everything and if he can't have all of it then he wants nothing at all. I realy don't know where to go with that.

Comments (6)