SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
morninglite

just want to get thru Christmas Eve

morninglite
14 years ago

I have no illusions about how my step kids feel about me. I am unimportant and they are more or less indifferent toward me. I do not blame them most of the time and I do not expect what they cannot give.

We are having Christmas Eve dinner tomorrow night and what I am not looking forward to is the inevitable discussion of their favorite memories - none of which include me. Even their father loves to go over the many wonderful times before I even existed in their lives. I am tired of almost every gathering and certainly every holiday being a walk down memory lane for all of them. The same stories, the same enjoyment, the same hollow feeling for me, though I smile right along with them.

My second thing I am so not looking forward to is the inevitable bigoted statement that will come out of my husband's mother and/or step dad's mouth. It makes everyone uncomfortable and nothing we do can seem to stop it. We have tried confrontation, education, changing the subject - I have even told them that their attitudes toward people of color are taken personally as I am Lebanese and not a white person. They say I am different. In my life before my husband, I would ask people to leave my home when they spoke offensively. They are elderly and my in-laws so I have not been able to do that.

I just want the day to go quickly and the food to be good. I had a miscarriage the week before Thanksgiving. My husband and I have been trying for a very long time and even though it was early on, we were heartbroken. It makes this all the more difficult.

Thanks for listening.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio