SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pennygal_gw

Advice for woman who's boyfriend has young daughter

pennygal
10 years ago

Hi there,
My boyfriend is 26 and I, 25. We've been together for a year and a half, though we've known each other for a little over 7 and actually dated pre child. I knew what I was getting myself into when we got back together last year with him having a daughter (She is 21 months now). What I didn't know was that the mother of the child was a horrible person who has harassed me via social media and continues to bully my boyfriend and use her role as "the mother" to control him. I try my best to keep her negativity out of my life but when it comes time for the child to stay with us, it all comes bubbling up with resentment, anger, and frustration, among other things, due to the mothers lack of selflessness and parenting skills (example: the child has a bedtime of "whenever she falls asleep on her own" AKA midnight or later!!!!) The child has no stability in which she craves. She has a lost look in her eyes and feels uncomfortable around me and she has been around me numerous times seeing as my boyfriend and I live together. She cries and whines all day and has to be held by him. And even screams when she sees us embracing. I try to play with her, make her laugh and she just stares off, lost in her sad, confused little mind. She has no routine, and a horrible diet to boot. And all I want to do is parent her the best way I know how and create some form of consistency for her so she can feel a little more at ease when she's in our home. I feel out of control and I feel at a loss that she wants nothing to do with me. And my gosh, how I've tried. It feels as though her mother is sending her bad vibes about me. Children can sense these things. I'm tired of the nonstop crying whenever she sees me. So how do I deal? My boyfriend is the love of my life and I am willing and able to make it work aside of all the turmoil and feelings I harbor towards the situation, Giving up is not an option!

Comments (4)