SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lamom_gw

Realistic expectations of steps, 1/2 sibs, BMs

lamom
15 years ago

All, I have two adult skids, SS29 and SD35. DH and I have one son together, DS6. After being married to their father for 11 years, and involved with him for 13+, I don't know what to expect realistically from them.

I have a friend who is 50 who is at odds with her three 1/2 sibs. My friend is the eldest, the dad divorced her mom, remarried and had 3 more kids. They are all adults between the ages of 50 and 38. The dad died recently leaving a little property. My friend and her 1/2 sister are suing each other over the proceeds from the sale of their dad's place. She is also trying to carve her two 1/2 brothers out as well. There seems to be no loyalty, no love whatsoever, just a lot of hard feelings from way back. I wonder, if something happens to DH and me, is this how my skids will act toward their little 1/2 brother?

I posted before about my SS29's disinterest in my very ill DS6. I have several divorced relatives whose exes have remarried and had 2nd families. They act as though these other kids, brothers and sisters to their kids don't exist. Or really, like they shouldn't exist.

For years I have hoped for a happy, blended family. I haven't been able to put it together. I have one cousin who has good relationships with her skids but she married their dad when they were young. She has kids their ages. Is that the secret ingredient?

Comment (1)