SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silversword_gw

I'm really trying.... but!

silversword
13 years ago

Dad and SM flew in Wed. stayed at a hotel for one night and then started their 2 week vacation with us on Thursday after work.

SM, first thing "I'm hungry". I was prepared!! I had purchased some clams in wine broth that are quick and fixed them up with hunks of bread and avocado and other small items. A snack. After the snack was demolished... and I had cleaned she says "what about dinner?"

So we fixed dinner. Steak, salmon, salad, rice, veggies, dessert. And then I cleaned up. Friday they went to see other family members and didn't get back until late. Saturday morning we got ready to go to my aunt's house. We spent over an hour in the grocery store because SM kept wanting to buy things. And then (surprise) she was hungry. So we had to look for her a snack. Meaning, cheese, crackers, apples, nuts, dried meat, stuff from the deli counter... ETC.

Nevermind that we were 1/2 hour away from Aunt's house and we were invited for a meal. Fine. So we get everything up to the checkout and she asks if I'm going to pay or if we are going to split it.

BEAR IN MIND.... it's dad's sister we are driving up to see. It's 120 miles round trip. I am paying gas. I have paid the last two meals, done all dishes, shopping etc. Bought SM specific items for our house like outrageously expensive breakfast items, teas, etc... that we don't normally eat but I knew she did. And, I got them before they arrived so they would not have to shop once they got here.

We were going to the store to get salad stuff and bread for the meal at aunt's house. EVERYTHING ELSE was stuff for SM. Like two loaves of bread, deli items, packaged items, bath salts (our cart was full).

So when she asked who was paying (and the ____explative woman has not worked in over a decade) I just looked at her and said "whatever you want" in a very mild tone. Dad walks up enough to hear this and says "I was going to get this one". Good for you dad. I'd hate to have to have you bail me out of jail.

Get in the car, she starts eating. And eating. And eating. In my car. Stuff like CHICKEN SALAD. I don't let anyone eat in my car. let alone juicy drippy gross stuff like chicken salad.

At aunt's house she decides she wants to use the computer and then spends hours trying to get aunt to make it go faster for her. Aunt lives in the boonies. Dial up. We eat, aunt and I do dishes. SM makes herself scarce.

OH MY GOODNESS. Then we go on a walk and aunt doesn't lock her house and SM insists on locking her purse in my truck. Aunt is offended but we pretend nothing is wrong. She lives in very safe neighborhood but SM is snobby. And aunt has her GIANT dog in the house, who protects it with her life... and SM NEVER LOCKS THEIR HOUSE EITHER (hahaha we get back and Aunt says "oh no, my TV is gone" LMAO)

This morning SM blows her nose, puts the tissue on my coffee table. There are dishes everywhere, she uses about 10 cups a day, leaves her tea bags in the cups, in the sink, on the counter.... etc. She does not put in dishwasher or offer to clean at all. THEN she comes into the living room, sits on the couch and proceeds to EAT a deviled egg out of a plastic bag, LICK her fingers, wipe them on her pajama pants.

OMFG. EW. EW EW EW EW EW.

I called her on that one. "SM, did you REALLY just eat a deviled egg on my couch and then wipe your fingers on your pants"?

My dad starts laughing because she ALWAYS is critical of his personal habits, which he just laughs off. But she is pristine in her habits. HA!

The absolute worst part is that she came sick. And didn't say that she was STILL sick when she got here. So DD is now sick. Fever, etc.

And we have a big trip planned. If DD is sick for the trip I'm going to __________.

THANK GOODNESS they are both gone for the next two days. Oh, and last night SM wore her shoes, from the dirty...muddy mountains... into my house. Literally caked mud shoes, through my house. As soon as they left DH and I were out with the vacuum and broom; cleaning.

Here's an example, which kind of sounds petty... but when they keep coming it just gets frickin' annoying. Last night at dinner she said to my dad, "I just think it's amazing, that one of your other sisters lives in a beautiful condo overlooking the bay and then this sister.... lives.... well.... here." And my dad was like.... uh.... WTF? She's sitting at aunt's house, eating her food, and being critical of her house????????

And his sisters could not be more different. Really. He has four, and they are all unique. We have a staunch democrat on the bay, a radical republican in a multi-million dollar house in a gated upper crust community, a hardworking uber-top official at one of the largest companies in America and an Earth-loving, country girl. All in the same family.

To compare my dad's sisters to one another is just absurd. And hurtful. This aunt may never have been successful in the same way as the others but she is my favorite. And she was kind enough to host us.

HOW RUDE.

Thank you for letting me vent. DH was saying he has about a 5 minute window with her. And I said that I've been trying to figure out why the window is so short and why I get so irritated so fast and he says he's trying to figure out the same thing. The woman just is so incredibly self-absorbed it's amazing to watch. And REALLY irritating.

So I have two days of sick kid and freedom. Anyone have any miracle cures for fever? That's about the only symptom. I was thinking it might be that weird strep with fever and no sore throat but she's not throwing up, soooooo...

SD comes Tue. When they get back. I'm feeling pretty sorry for her. But DH and I decided she gets the spare room, Dad and SM get DD's room and DD can sleep on the couch in our room. We are not going to let SM have her own room anymore. (prior, Dad was sleeping in DD's room with her on the trundle because SM simply cannot sleep with other people.)

I have never met a more self-absorbed person in my life. And the thing is that in her home I would be walking on eggshells. I have not been invited to stay at their home in over 10 years. And, when I did, I could only stay three days (I was leaving my fiancee, moved back to my home state while going to college because it was pretty bad and had three nights to stay with them before I had to go. And I had nowhere to go. I stayed in their driveway in my car. And they have a big fancy house and plenty of room and I did a lot of cleaning and food preparing. But I disturbed her sleep patterns.)

And, it's not like it's HER house. It's dad's house. But they have come time and again and I have been the best hostess I could possibly be even though she thinks nothing of slamming doors and using the last of whatever and etc... that would make her flip out if someone were in her house. Literally, we have had family members come to their house to stay and she's told them the hours they can:

A)flush toilets

B)turn on coffee pot (not before 11am... the smell will wake her up)

ETC. But she comes over and just walks around like a princess, bi*ching and comparing me negatively to other hosts.

ARRRRGGGHHH

And now I have a sick kid. Boo! Poor DD.

Comments (28)