Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Religion Question

Posted by pseudo_mom (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 1, 11 at 14:15

I know there are many out there ... but I have a question regarding one ... JW using initials hopefully you get the gist of what I am asking :)

From what I understand could just be ignorance on my part ... JhovasW's do not celebrate any holiday correct??? including thanksgiving, birthdays, christmas, or any other holiday ...

I am asking because the kids came home the other day asking if we were having christmas this year ... I said no not unless the tree goes up ... santa doesn't go to houses with out trees! 12,14, & 16. They put up the tree with in 2 hours ... usually I am asking right up til christmas eve. :)

The kids said mom changed religions and she doesn't celebrate christmas ... is there a religion other than JW that doesn't celebrate christmas but celebrates ... thanksgiving and new years??? (she did thanksgiving and is having a huge new years eve party)

Unless she just switches Nov. 30th to Dec. 30th because last year if some of you remember she got them nothing for christmas last year her BF bought a house so she decorated their rooms for them ... that was their gift!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Religion Question

I m not JW, but I know some....Some will have turkey on Thanksgiving, not a religious holiday and not associated with gods or goddesses. New Years, no, the god Janus(January)is associated...Most JW s will take off from school on Halloween, Valentines Day, they want no candy, celebration, Halloween, Celtic god, Valentine, Christian St Valentine...No birthdays, Anniversary, and Wedding Day celebration are allowed...But some JWs break the rules, I know some that drink sometimes, and THAT s not allowed LOL...Maybe she s just taking the part of the religion she likes and not following the rest....

o

I was born and raised one of Jehovah's Witnesses. So I can answer yes, JWs do not celebrate any holidays of any kind. No birthdays, either.

A couple of clarifications: JWs can celebrate weddings and wedding anniversaries. Since it was the only thing we were allowed to celebrate, whenever someone got married it was a big deal. Also, Jws are allowed to drink, only you're not supposed to drink so much that you get drunk.

But like Dotz said, there are some JWs that break the rules.

There are many, many people that were raised JWs, and just sort of drift away because there is so much wrong with this "religion". These people may claim to be a JW, but don't follow all the rules they way they are supposed to, which often causes confusion to outsiders.

o

Jews don't celebrate Christmas or Easter, but do celebrate Thanksgiving, New Year's, birthdays and many Jewish holidays. Is it just Christmas she avoids?

And why not just ask the kids what BM's new religion is called?

o

Hubby said it was JW...I do not ask because I do not want to seem interested in anything mom does ... because I am not. Their birthdays were celebrated like national holidays till this year ... she hosts prayer meetings at her house on Sundays. Not sure if she drinks anymore I no longer allow her free rent in my head :) so I don't ask anything about her.

I think Dotz statement is the most accurate ... "Maybe she s just taking the part of the religion she likes and not following the rest...."

Seems like her religious beliefs are a convenience! save her self some money ... big kids big gifts.

o

Maybe it was a jailhouse conversion??? LOL

o

"is there a religion other than JW that doesn't celebrate christmas but celebrates ... thanksgiving and new years???"

Yes, all of them other than Christianity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here