SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steplady_gw

Bad advice from therapist?

steplady
13 years ago

We have been seeing a family therapist for most of the year to deal with issues. My fiancee has two children that he has most of the month with the exception of two weekends.

The BM is getting ready to move 8.5 hours away (2nd time in the past 4 years) and of course, doesn't want to pay child support. She's said she's moving there because that's where she will be happy and if she's happy the kids will be happy too. She's had to have her wages garnished, has quit jobs when Child Support has caught up with her and taken jobs that pay under the table...all the typical stuff that people avoiding child support do.

With this move, she is once again leaving the children. Our therapist asked if my fiancee could hold off on filing for support once she leaves to give the BM a chance to get on her feet. He has no idea how this move will affect my fiancee's finances and we cannot figure out why in the world anyone would advise this? Has anyone ever been advised not to file or hold off filing for child support?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County