SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catlettuce

Who else is dreading the holidays??

catlettuce
12 years ago

I'm guessing I'm not the only one. DH and I are traveling to see my parents and my son & his GF and while I'm excited to see esp my son-my mothers behavior has gotten more negative/demanding/critical the past few yr.s so much that I can't deal with her in close quarters for more than 4 days max. I feel bad but it's true. She came to visit last may and was perfectly awful the whole time and nothing anyone did would please her and she refused to go anywhere or anything that she didn't want to. She did a few inappropriate things like taking a dirty dish out of the sink and putting a slice of pizza on it and then picked up the phone, called my s-dad and tell him how dirty my dishes were!! WTH? I was like "What the hell are you doing? You just took that dish out of the sink!" She was like a deer in the headlights and continued eating/talking and ignored me-Ugh!

My son said he would NEVER travel with G-ma again and that she was awful/nasty to him, TSA, rental car place-you name it at the airport as well as driving down the center of two lanes of the highway and refusing to let him drive..Yikes.

So we decided to drive down to her comfort zone that maybe if she were in her own habitat (lol) she might behave better but this past week on the phone she is already starting to get negative and critical.. Now if I stayed in a hotel or with my son she would have a cow over it and be totally insulted so that's out. Which is too bad because really if it stresses her out that much then why not stay at a hotel and just hang out when she wants too?

I am really trying to suck it up and be a good daughter because I love my mother even though she has always been "difficult" and I want to be able to have somewhat of a decent relationship with her but damn if I'm not dreading this trip because of these issues. Both my son & I wondered if she has some early dementia going on but decided against mentioning anything to my s-dad because if he said anything to her-it would be on like Donkey Kong. It's like all of her behaviors are now amplified x 10..Sigh. Bless my S-dad, really he is such a good guy.

As far as S-kids go the middle SS is having an impromptue wedding Sat since we have an impromptue granchild expected in June. Finally he got his own home and moved the whole lot out of DH's house in the late summer, and the house was forclosed on(DH lost his butt financially on that one). (so glad I bought my house!). No worries about wedding shennanigans as it is small/ dinner out afterwards and all they need from us is to be a back up

baby sitter for the evening. Okey-Dokey! Works for me!!

I just wish for us to all please get through this holiday season with minimal drama,trauma & fuss. Then let me have my peaceful little life back.

~Cat PS. And if you all got this far you deserve a Nice Big Cookie!

Comments (5)