SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawnsmith_gw

Table Manners

DawnSmith
10 years ago

Hi. My boyfriends son (6 yrs old) chews with him mouth open, talks w/food in his mouth, and takes big bites so all the food doesn't fit and spills out. Drives myself and my children (10 and 12) crazy. My son got so upset on Christmas, he started crying and went to his room. I talked to him, got him calmed down, and we finished dinner in silence. Not fun! This has been going on for a full year.
My boyfriend doesn't think his manners are an issue, but since it "bothers" the rest of us, he agreed to talk to his son and correct it each time it happens. He said the same thing a year ago... he does it for a while, then ignores the manners again.

My idea: The next meal we have together (usually once a week), I will put a chair and a TV try in the kitchen, other side of the counter from the table. I will tell his son he can eat with us as long as he chews with this mouth closed. If it doesn't, he can eat in the kitchen by himself.

Is that being mean? Out of line? It is gross, really gross and we can't take it any longer!

Comments (7)