SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leecl67

SO's DS has brain cancer...how can I be the best partner?

leecl67
15 years ago

Please help.

My SO's DS has brain cancer and is at St. Jude's. It is a particularly malignant form, and his prognosis is poor. The BM and he do not get along...DS was the result of a one-night stand and they co-parent, but have never gotten along well. And the fighting has just intensified with the cancer. She is very controlling and demanding and emotionally manipulative with his whole family. This is a horrible, horrible situation, and I know I can't fix their interpersonal relationship, but I can work on mine. So here is my set of problems...the stress of the situation causes SO to run away. He shuts down to me...wanting me to be close to him, but can't stand it if I get upset and hates for me to see him get angry, frustrated or hurt. He is so frustrated he sees his son less and less, and this week she wasn't even returning his calls to let him talk to his son. He can't take his anger out on her, so sometimes the crappy emotional reactions come back to me.

So my question is, how can I be the best partner? He hates it when I get upset, but I love him and I love his son. That was celebrated when DS was well, but now... I don't want him to shut me out. I'm terrified he will push me away, especially if something horrible happens. I'm thinking the best thing is to stand by and let be, be strong, but its so, so hard. I want to protect him, I want to comfort him. We already had problems with him opening up before. I just need some words of encouragement from some women who know how hard it is to be out of the realm of control.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH