SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattie_gt

It is NOYB how much I make - a rant

mattie_gt
13 years ago

So, SS started a new school this year, and they've now sent home, for the sixth time, his application for a free or reduced price lunch. The problem is that it is based on household income, including mine. There is no way that he'll qualify, which is fine; we can afford his lunches and of course have been paying for them all along. However, they are becoming increasingly insistent that DH applies for it. I do understand their position as I'm aware that much school funding depends on the number of students eligible, so it is in the school's best interests to have as many kids on it as possible.

But. The application form includes all household income information, detailed by person, including mine. As far as I'm concerned they can kiss my [edited]. I'm not legally related to SS, and have no legal rights to anything to do with him, as we're all well aware. I also (despite BM's protestations) have no legal responsibilities towards him. Naturally I do pay for things for him (including his lunches) but I'll be damned if I'm going to send my income information off to God knows whom to apply for a free lunch for a child for whom I'm not legally responsible and who won't qualify anyway.

At the same time, on general principle, I won't lie about my income. DH has been sending back the application with a note attached that I won't divulge my financial information but that we will not qualify and are OK with that - and it's ignored. I'm going to call myself and have a feeling that I'm going to be told that it's not my place because he's not my child - ARGH!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor