SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2emall

My stepmom

mom2emall
15 years ago

I am venting a bit about my stepmom. She has only been my stepmom for a few years. I had another stepmom for most of my life, whom I loved dearly. She passed away when I was in high school. My dad dated different women a while later and eventually met my stepmom. We are only a few years apart in age, but she seems so much older so we have always gotton along well.

The problem is lately I feel as if she is hogging my dad! We live close to eachother and my dad used to stop by all the time when he was out running errands. Then she would call his cell nonstop. After a while the visits stopped. We did start doing dinner at my house once a month with them.

The problem is the holidays. 4th of July last year I wanted to have a party, but she said they were going to her familys. In October I had a birthday party for one of my kids and she was concerned that the date would interfere with a family party on her side. For Thanksgiving she told me in front of my dad that day was not open because they go to her familys each year. I looked at her and said "well maybe I would like to see my dad on some holidays!" She looked shocked.

I did end up having Thanksgiving a day early so they could attend.

Me and my dad have been talking about getting a summer vacation together with all my siblings (some of whom live out of state) and their kids. We have not all gotton together with the kids ever! It has been too hard to schedule. Anyways my dad was so excited about the idea and we were discussing it at our monthly dinner. Then stepmom chimes in with "well it can not be on ____ or ____ or ___ because my family has ____"

IMHO she can see her family any damn time. My family all lives out of state and it is hard to all get together so if she has to miss one of her family functions too bad....right? I mean if they are able to come out during the 4th of July or something then can't she attend our family function and see her family at all the other holidays?

Anyways the following month my stepmom called to say they were not coming to dinner because she had something going on with babysitting for her cousin. So I called my dad and told him he was still welcome to dinner. And he came. She called a zillion times while he was here! I finally looked at him and said "geez...she does not even loosen up the collar...does she?" My DH then joked with my dad about having a curfew.

Well I think my dad got it. My stepmom called me a few days later telling me that they were fighting and my dad was being mean. She then asked me about me and dh's comments and I said "well you did call and awful lot so I was joking around with my dad".

What do you think I should do with stepmom? I want to get along with her, but I also want some holidays with my dad!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County