SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sdatwitsend

16 yo SD is destroying my marriage

sdatwitsend
14 years ago

I knew taking on four stepkids would be a challenge, however, I love my wife, and thought I could handle it. I get along fine with the oldest (20 yo SS living at school), the youngest is a joy (10 yo SD), and the 19 yo SS has already moved out to be with friends.

However, the 16 yo SD is killing my marriage, if she hasn't already. In a nutshell:

She lies perpetually (to both of us);

She steals from her own family, and is selfish beyond reason;

She is obssessed with piercings (not a problem for me);

She is a destructive slob beyond words, and has no respect for anything she's given, or where she lives (which is *my* house, in which I've invested A LOT of time and money -- BIG problem for me);

And the worst: she is disrespectful to me with a mouth that would raise a convict's eyebrows.

To put things in perspective, she has her own room (torn apart), her own computer (provided by, and since taken away by me), her own satellite tv (provided by, and since unplugged by me); unlimited chauffering privileges (which she abuses with calls late at night), all the privacy and freedom she wants. She wants for very little.

Now the problem: Her mother (BM) defends her incessently. If I say anything to her, her mom is right there to interject, and these times have turned into serious shouting-fests. I've been rendered impotent as far as discipline (and I'm the only one that even makes the attempt to discipline anyone -- the BD lives hours away, is a child himself, and has kicked his own kids to the curb).

In the five years we've been married, the SD has not raised a finger ONCE for anyone but herself (in fact just the opposite -- her mother even attempted to PAY her to clean up after herself, and do a chore or two, which the SD abandoned within a couple of days). I've been the source of all funding for all her b-day and Christmas gifts, I've "underwritten" their doctor bills, and other expenses, and never once refused help of any kind when asked.

However, I can't deal with the tension in the house any longer, and I'm on the verge of ending my marriage as a result. I love my wife very much, and other than this horrific child, we get along extremely well. However, this is killing me. I can't take it any longer...

Does *anyone* have any advice on weathering this storm at all...

Comments (12)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County