SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mason67_gw

Parents remarried w/ children

mason67
14 years ago

Okay, first of all, this may be an odd topic for this forum, not sure.

I don't even know where to begin, it's a long story I'll try to make as brief as possible.

I am a 42 year old father of two beautiful daughters, happily married to my one and only wife. My stepfamily problem is my parents being remarried and having children, my step brothers and sisters.

I have one older sister from my parents original marriage. My parents divorced when I was two years old, and my sister and I never saw my Dad a lot growing up, I would say partly due to him and partly due to my Moms side of the family not wanting us to see him, which didn't help matters any.

My Mom had a couple of abusive, alcoholic boyfriends while we were growing up, one we lived with for about 8 years, until I was 15 years old. My Mom had a son with this guy, when I was 13, then decided to up and leave him (finally), after meeting a new guy she worked with. She had my sister and I go live with our Grandparents and left the state with her new boyfriend and my half-brother to get away from this guy.

She has never moved back, married the new guy, my stepdad and had another son with him. She is happily married now, as my stepdad is a good guy.

Now for my Dad, he has a son from a girlfriend, whom he never had much to do with either, and then remarried when I was about 12 years old. Not the woman he had the son with, oh, no, ANOTHER woman, my stepmom. Then he had two daughters with her, my half-sisters.

So in summary, I have one biological sister, two half-sisters and three half-brothers.

Now, as you may realize, this problem of mine has been festering for years, and I'm finally seeking advice, of course the holidays again brought this to a head.

My sister and I have always had some animosity towards our half-siblings, which has now been exacerbated by the fact that our halfs have children and of course our parents have much more to do with these grandchildren than our children. It just sickens us, because we were very close to our grandparents and now our children barely know their grandparents.

There is a lot more to this story also, My youngest half- sister has three children, she only has custody of one of them, all three are from different fathers, she has been in and out of jail,( drugs and drinking since age 14 or 15). Her second child, a son, is basically in a vegetative state since birth and lives with a foster family, and yes, she did this to him with her drinking and drugs.

My other half-sister is a decent person, and is engaged to be married.

Of my two half-brothers from my Mom, the younger now has two children and I guess the world revolves around them, my daughters probably wouldn't know there grandmother if she was in the room. I haven't talked to or seen my mom in a few years. I sent her a letter last year after Christmas and never got a response whatsoever from her.

Basically, I've gotten over some of the animosity towards my halfs, but now it's the fact that my children are getting the short end of the stick that bothers me.

I know I'm a grown man and should probably get over this but it's hard to deal with. I could go on and on with this story, there is a lot more to it.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (11)