SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amybeth1969

I am just so over this girl.

amybeth1969
12 years ago

I have been married for 8 years to a man who has two daughters - currently 15 and 21 years old - from his first marriage. I cannot begin to describe the nightmare things have been with the older one from day 1. It would surely run out of room before I even got started.

My husband left his wife, of 18 years, when his kids were 10 and 4 and they had a very bitter divorce. His wife was devastated and could barely hold herself together. She was extremely depressed and really used her oldest daughter to get her through during that time. I could go on for a very long time about this, but I will shorten it to say that her mom was definitely *not* ok during this time and her daughter basically became the adult taking care of her mom.

When I first met my husband, she would call him regularly and scream at him on the phone about how he did not love his children and how could he do this to them. And let me say - they had been separated and divorced for at least 2 years at this point. And I was very, very naive when it came to all this. They lived states away and they just didn't impact my life or my relationship, so I just didn't spend much time thinking of all the possible problems. That is, until we got married...and they came to spend the summers with us.

I'm sure everyone on here has their horror stories and I don't want to type a book, but this girl, now a grown woman, has been a nightmare in my life. And it's one that just never seems to end.

She has gone out of her way to make sure I, and the whole world, knows that she detests me. I think I have decided it's her life's ambition. And to top it off, my husband is about the least confrontational person on the planet and will do just about anything to avoid all forms of conflict. This girl had so much anger and bitterness inside her that when she would come to see us, it would just spew out. My husband felt so guilty about leaving his wife and daughters that he basically let her run rampant in our home - I think in the hopes that it would repair his relationship with her. Which of course never worked.

But I will tell you, when I had my own children I became intolerant of this behavior. When my husband refused to deal with the things she was doing, I began taking in upon myself to set the boundaries. This of course was all turned around and I became this evil person who was just so mean to this girl. And I just have to say how much this burns me up, because for years I bent over backwards to try to get along with her but it only made things worse. There's nothing I could have done - she was so protective of her mother that she felt so disloyal to her if she made any comment that was cruel, unkind, or rude. How can you win against that?

Finally it got to the point, where my husband and I agreed that she just couldn't come back to our home unless she actually agreed to act respectfully while she was here. But, in the end, he could not bring himself to actually tell her this and said something like - You just can't come up here and act like this. This is something he had said many times before and it was just ignored, while she did whatever she wanted. I cannot tell you how upset I was about this and truly felt rage over it. I felt like I just couldn't go on another minute with this girl in my home. So I took her outside on the day they were leaving to return home and I told her that she was not welcome back in our home until she agreed that everyone in it was to be treated respectfully. She just stared at my at first and said - Are you saying that I can't come back? And when I said - That's exactly what I'm saying - she just let loose with how much she hated that I was in her life, what a terrible person I was, how I didn't belong here, etc. So she went home, with her sister, and a couple months past and my husband, of course, does not say one word to me about this situation. When December rolled around, he told me that he would be going to get them for Christmas. To which, I asked him about what we had agreed on as far as having his daughter come back to his home. His reply was that all of that had happened months ago and why can't I just move on, and then accused me of holding grudges.

Anyway, this was the last time I've seen her...until now. She did come to visit her dad this summer, but I went to visit my family at the same time so I would not have to be here while she was. But now she is planning on coming for Christmas, which bring me to the current situation.

Two weeks ago, our internet was acting funny and I got on my husband's computer to check my email, etc. When I clicked on Facebook, it brought this girl's FB page up and I realized that she had never logged out from when she was here this summer. At this point, I should have clicked off, but I didn't. At the very top of her page, she was having a conversation with a friend and talking all about how she's going to visit her dad and how I'm such a b*tch and she doesn't know how she'll stand being in the same house as me. There was a lot more, but that was the jist of it.

So I called my husband and just told him I was so tired of this and to call his daughter and let her know I had seen this. I just couldn't stand the thought of her coming up here and having to be nice and friendly and interested in her life. I did that for many years and all it got me was hatred in return. I'm just so tired of it.

Well she freaked out that I had invaded her privacy and read her 'personal' writings. She continues to miss the point of her continued hatred and bitterness. So she is so upset about this that she called my husband a dozen times and he - being the great conflict avoider - refused to answer his phone. So for a week he would not talk to me or her about this - but just pretended it didn't happen. Finally, when I was about to lose my mind with the stress of wondering if she was still coming up here for Christmas, I told him he just had to call and deal with this situation. He talked to his daughter for a few minutes, when his ex-wife took the phone away from her and began yelling at him about how he doesn't love his children and that it's time he made a choice between them and me. Eventually he hung up on her and she began calling and leaving messages for me - basically about how she can't believe I'm becoming between my husband and his children - especially at Christmastime - and was a evil person I am.

I could never have won in this situation. I am not a evil person and there is just nothing I could have done. I feel like I just need to say this, to defend myself in someway, even though I know at the same time I don't need to justify myself to these people. That it's ok for me to be married to my husband and that my existence alone does not preclude these children from being happy and moving on in life.

So now she has decided to still come for Christmas and I wish I could just leave. My mom is visiting right now so that makes things somewhat better, but I just feel like I'm going to have 52 ulcers by the time she leaves. The stress of this is just too much.

Thanks for all those who made it to the bottom of this. I just really needed to get it out and have no one to talk to about this.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• justmetoo
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A very bitter divorce, her teen years and a mother who dysfuctionally filled the girl with hate and blame...the kid never stood a chance in accepting you.

But it's time for both of you to 'move on'. Compromise with your husband. He loves the girl. Good, bad, ugly warts and all...she is his child. Just as you would not, could not turn your back on your own child, don't make him chose between his daughter and his wife. Such drama never plays out well.

Sit down with husband and make it clear that you understand his need to have his daughter a part of his life but that there is too much damage and hard feelings for you to just play family during the holidays. Then suggest the daughter (are both coming?) come for x amount of days and he pay to make her comfortable in a hotel room. No knocking yourself out cooking and catering to the girl either. Eat your holiday meal out this year. You can handle being civil for a few hours...I didn't say 'fake', I said 'civil'. It's important to him that he trys and has some relationship with this girl.

You have your mother already in the home this holiday, don't want drama and misbehavior blah blah. Husband can spend a couple/few days spending time with the girl, taking her out and about or just visiting in the lounge at hotel. As 'cold' as that sounds, some of them are quite festive and enjoyable this time of year.

Sure it will take a bit of a chunk out of the household wallet, but it will be worth every cent. All your asking is for compromise and a situation that could be enjoyable and tolerable for all.

No fighting about past times blah blah. Pure and simple civil. Expected by all parties. You really should not have read for facebook but she has no one to blame for her broken privacy than herself. Seriously, how silly to use the computer and not have enough sense to log off if it was so private. Don't perform 'private' issues on someone else's computer is a lesson she now learned the hard way.

It's not 'you are holding a grudge', you just simply are done being mistreated and disrespected in your home and you don't intend to spend your holiday fighting. You expect husband to honor a compromise that can work for all of you and which shows some respect for all parties involved. You could always take Mom and do the hotel room yourself (think peace and quiet and somebody else doing the cooking and cleaning and you and Mom just soaking it up and relaxing!)

• Amber3902
    12 years ago

I think the hotel idea is a good one. I would only add if your husband does not want to his daughter in a hotel, then you and your mom should go yourselves. I have a feeling your husband will not want to put his daughter in a hotel, so don't let yourself go through that torture.
    If your husband won't put his daughter in a hotel, then you and your mom go. Hope you have a merry and stress free christmas.

• Related Discussions

Balsam Impatien just flowered. I am so proud

Q

Comments (3)
    Those are gorgeous! Mine have little green football shaped pods that pop at the slightest squeeze when they're ready to get the seeds from. I hold a bowl or paper bag under them when I'm collecting because they like to jump all over. I would love to trade for some seeds of the fragrant ones if you get enough to share. This link has some info on them http://plantsdatabase.com/go/156/index.html
    ...See More

I am so OVER the high end appliances.....

Q

Comments (107)
    Sure, you can have great food and clean dishes from a cheap kitchen. Absolutely! My built-in fridge needs replacing after 20+ years because I can’t find parts for it anymore. You know what’s breaking? The gasket. Searched high and low and the gasket is extinct. The new fridges that would fit in the counter depth x 30” spot are all built-in or way too small. I can either redo the entire kitchen or spring for something that fits in the allotted space. I did look at everything. Many built-ins certainly are built for giants. Ridiculously tall. But I opened a SubZero Classic and simply fell in love. Sometimes it just comes down to that. Not in debt, not going into debt, it’s just a personal choice. And I have to wait a year to get it— the backlog is that long. And it better last 20 years! I will fix it so it does. Meanwhile I have duct tape and my daughter’s dorm refrigerator as a backup 😂
    ...See More

I am just so relieved...

Q

Comments (8)
    They will be getting into Minneapolis tomorrow evening, with only their clothing. They had to leave everything, of course, which is minor, when one considers the alternatives. Believe me, the whole family is rejoicing. They are sad, of course, about leaving the friends they had made over there.
    ...See More

I just got a new digital SLR... so why am I shaking?

Q

Comments (1)
    Sharon, Since I just got my Nikon D50 last month, I can assure you I was in the same boat! I had been using a Fuji point and shoot, but wanted more. The good news is that the automatic mode on my camera is easier to use than the old point and shoot camera. I was able to take great pictures the first day, even though I didn't know much about my camera. And, those first day pictures were of better quality than anything I had taken before. The colors were much more accurate. The camera did a much better job of keeping light colored objects from being overexposed. I was able to enlarge pictures without them becoming grainy. Knowing that you can take great pictures on auto mode, takes the pressure off. I will slowly work on the other modes, beginning with aperature priority. So, get out there and start shooting! We are waiting.
    ...See More
  • gardenandcats
    12 years ago

I totally disagree no way should you and your mom have to leave YOUR home for this women.She is a grown women and needs to act as one..You two have children together? How does she treat them? and how old are they?

• justmetoo
    12 years ago

It was not said in a 'must HAVE' to way, gcats. It was said in a form of compromising. It's not necessarily a 'hardship' and/or 'punishment' to temporarily run away from home and set one's self up in style at a 'cater to me' hotel. Think hot tub, room service, chauffered vehicle to haul you around to sights and entertainment.

I'd trade hostessing a girl who despise me in for a weekend of comfort and relaxing any day. I offered out the poster and her mother because it may be enjoyed as a mini vacation ...who wants to stay around 'home' and be spit at?

I suggested the daughter do the hotel initially because I had no problems shipping my SS and his girlfriend of that moment to a hotel on the evening she outlived her welcome in my home. I can and will be civil for a short duration, but hell will freeze over before I put up with unwanted company in my home that do not know how to conduct themselves.

And yes, I've stayed in hotels many times while visiting relatives (DS and SS). I find it much more accomadating and relaxing...and for the record I have no issues getting along with my children/step, I just prefer not to be a burden in their homes and actually enjoy having a 'room' of my own to have some 'me' time. It's not a 'punishment' it's a preferred choice. When I get tired of the noise or want to soak in the hot tub and have room service, I just get in my vehicle , say goodnight and off I go.

I suggested hotel in this posters situation because her husband has made it clear the girl is coming. What would you suggest? Just lock the door and leave husband and girl out on the lawn? That's hardly going to play well. Flat out telling the guy she can't come no way no how is only going to set off major fights and hurt feelings...I offered a doable solution. Refusing to come to some sort of compromise will only serve to ruin the entire holiday for all of them. Husband calls kid up and says she can't come afterall is not going to leave the poster with a pleasant holiday...it will just get her a resentful pain in the rear poutty man on her hands. Not my idea of a win for the poster.

• amybeth1969
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your comments! I had just needed to vent and I felt better after I wrote it all down. It's just such a stressful situation and to have this girl's mom calling me as well, leaving messages, is just...I don't know.

I think you are very right...having her stay in a hotel is a very good idea. My first instinct is to just have her go home if she decides she can't control the things she says, but underneath the hurt I feel, I know that's probably the right thing.

I know I definitely wouldn't go to a hotel, if only for the simple fact that it's Christmas and I have small children - 6 and 4 years - and they are greatly anticipating Santa tonight. :) But I did leave this summer when I knew she was coming and I guess that's kind of the same thing, although I went to visit my family and not a hotel room. But honestly, I did feel some resentment over it but tried to put it in it's place. My husband and I had some big fights over this because that's exactly how I felt - why should I have to leave my own home because this 'girl' can't control herself? My husband would only say - Well no one is making you leave! But I think that just misses the whole point when my only options were to stay and suffer through the poison this girl emits or leave. Anyway, in the end, I just decided that this was bigger than me and that for him to reestablish a relationship with his daughter was important for him. So I left and it was ok I guess.

This girl has never wanted anything to do with my children. Before we had children she would say all the time that if we ever had kids, she would never acknowledge them as her siblings and that they would be nothing to her. But now, years later, she is beginning to say that she wants to get to know them. She's only seen my older son once or twice when he was younger and she's only seen my youngest when he was a baby, as she's not been back to our home since. HOWEVER, she wants a relationship with them without me being around. She asked my husband if it would be possible to spend time alone with my kids without me being around. Fortunately my husband told her that that would not happen under any circumstances - I guess he knew I would really go ballistic if he told her anything other than that. It made me feel good to hear that he told her that our kids are a package deal. I want the best for my kids and I know that one day I will not be around and that these girls will be some of the only family they have. I have never said a bad word about either of the girls in front of my kids, no matter how I've felt and I never will. But right now, this girl is just too filled with bitterness and hatred and there is nothing in this world that would make me leave my kids alone with her for 5 seconds. Honestly, as bad as this sounds, I wish I could just make this girl vanish as if she's never existed. Oh well.

Thank you again for all your thoughts! I've just really needed someone to hear me and appreciate so much the time you've taken to respond. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

Amy

• amybeth1969
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your comments! I had just needed to vent and I felt better after I wrote it all down. It's just such a stressful situation and to have this girl's mom calling me as well, leaving messages, is just...I don't know.

I think you are very right...having her stay in a hotel is a very good idea. My first instinct is to just have her go home if she decides she can't control the things she says, but underneath the hurt I feel, I know that's probably the right thing.

I know I definitely wouldn't go to a hotel, if only for the simple fact that it's Christmas and I have small children - 6 and 4 years - and they are greatly anticipating Santa tonight. :) But I did leave this summer when I knew she was coming and I guess that's kind of the same thing, although I went to visit my family and not a hotel room. But honestly, I did feel some resentment over it but tried to put it in it's place. My husband and I had some big fights over this because that's exactly how I felt - why should I have to leave my own home because this 'girl' can't control herself? My husband would only say - Well no one is making you leave! But I think that just misses the whole point when my only options were to stay and suffer through the poison this girl emits or leave. Anyway, in the end, I just decided that this was bigger than me and that for him to reestablish a relationship with his daughter was important for him. So I left and it was ok I guess.

This girl has never wanted anything to do with my children. Before we had children she would say all the time that if we ever had kids, she would never acknowledge them as her siblings and that they would be nothing to her. But now, years later, she is beginning to say that she wants to get to know them. She's only seen my older son once or twice when he was younger and she's only seen my youngest when he was a baby, as she's not been back to our home since. HOWEVER, she wants a relationship with them without me being around. She asked my husband if it would be possible to spend time alone with my kids without me being around. Fortunately my husband told her that that would not happen under any circumstances - I guess he knew I would really go ballistic if he told her anything other than that. It made me feel good to hear that he told her that our kids are a package deal. I want the best for my kids and I know that one day I will not be around and that these girls will be some of the only family they have. I have never said a bad word about either of the girls in front of my kids, no matter how I've felt and I never will. But right now, this girl is just too filled with bitterness and hatred and there is nothing in this world that would make me leave my kids alone with her for 5 seconds. Honestly, as bad as this sounds, I wish I could just make this girl vanish as if she's never existed. Oh well.

Thank you again for all your thoughts! I've just really needed someone to hear me and appreciate so much the time you've taken to respond. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

Amy

• shakti2574
    12 years ago

The problem is NOT with the D but really with YOUR HUSBAND. Nothing will be solved until he sees what he did and man up enough to do the right things.

You should not take it personally as the D shows the hatred toward you. It is not you, but your position that they don't like. It could be Kate Middleton, and they will still be hateful. If you were put in this girl's position, you probably would act similarly. That is just human's reaction.

ON the note about the mom's calling you. That is way out of line. You should simply hang up the phone on her.

I think as long as you stay married to your h, the problem will persist. The only way to solve it from your perspective is to use compassion & love to dissolve the hatred.I would let your H deal with his D when she comes, he needs to be a man to face the child's attack when it comes. He needs to make amend with them.

• incognitomom
    12 years ago

Honestly the girl is 21. If she opens her mouth and lets ignorant comments come out call her on it right then and there!!! Tell her that was rude and why would she say that? Tell her you would expect better out of an adult visiting your home. Don't let her get away with it! And that night (in private) you stand up to your husband and MAKE him go deal with her. He is dealing with you by MAKING you have her in your home....he should be able to make her act respectful in your home.