SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gibbsgirl_gw

PLEASE Need Stepmom advise for lying stepson!!

gibbsgirl
14 years ago

Hi all,

Okay here's the problem. My 12yo stepson is making me and my husband crazy. We don't know where to go with this. I can't even sleep. I have to drive three states away tomorrow to pick him up for a Christmas visit, and now I'm dreading it b/c his latest lies discovered today from an email we got from his school have created a real SHTF problem. stepson doesn't even know we know yet. He'll find out tomorrow.

We've been married 10 years. And, there's no problems between me and my DH on parenting issues. But, we're stumped on what our next move should be with this lying.

My stepson lives in another state because me and DH and our kids moved out of his state about 1 1/2 ago. Lying has been a snowballing problem for us with him for several years. We have a great relationship with him and he does also with all his younger half-siblings. But, this lying is a relationship killer and we're at the point where we're trying to plan how to start protecting our other kids from him before he starts doing too much more that could really hurt them.

We know where the lying comes from. It's his BM and the family he has in the other state. Basically, the family has a lot of money and so they "play" and do whatever they want. And, they lie to employers, school people, doctors, and court people to whatever extent needed whenever their total disregard for basic "responsibility" in life becomes an issue. There's never been any really terrible consequences to any of them for the lying. And, my stepson has learned that his life with his BM is in no way affected by whether anyone goes to work steadily or does well in school.

He's been held back in school once. He's failed every other grade, but the school just moves him forward cause they can't hold him back again and he's not in HS so can't be expelled yet. And, he's given a crazy amount of "things" regularly both as surprises and whenever he requests them. (Ex. new toys, video games, choice of eating out or ordering in for any meals, going to movies, amusement parks, etc whenever he'd like.)

My family is really low income. I'm talking $22,000/year for a family of 8. We can stretch a dollar til it screams. But, we've also spent an incredible amount of money over the years on attorneys to stop BM when she's disappeared with him or tried to end us seeing him. In 10 years it's cost about $30,000.

Me and DH kids are happy and they don't go hungry and honestly are a lot happier and more content than my SS despite having less things and opportunities than SS. But, it's not just the financial cost of stepson. DH and I have also spent a VERY unequal amount of time on SS issues and helping him. It was okay with us for awhile.

We've known all along that someday, SS would have to decide "who" he was going to be. A person like us, or a person like them. And, we've felt it was going to be understandable if he ended up like them because 1. he's with them more, and 2. face it, what money can buy can be very irresistable to anyone, let alone a kid.

He's almost a teenager, and the lying has progressed A LOT in the last 4-5 months. We're not going to stop buying him tickets to fly out and visit us. But, since we can't afford to fight anymore in court right now to have him move with us full-time, there are some real "practical" limits to putting consequences on him for his lying behavior.

So, (if you're still reading this LOL), here's my question. Ever been through this? Got any encouraging things to share that helped you...or anything you did that totally back-fired that you DON'T recommend?

For now, DH is planning to have another talk with him. But, our kids know he's lied this time directly to his teachers and to his Dad twice in one week. boldfaced lies. And, our kids are shocked at his nerve (we're not big on secrets). And, DH and I decided that other than Xmas eve and Xmas day, we're not going to do anything special like normal for SS visit this time. In fact it's going to be no TV and we're going to keep homeschooling the kids (we planned to have this week off) and have SS study the whole time we homeschool the other kids this week.

We're all bummed and SS will be bummed when he finds out tomorrow. We're almost expecting SS to not want to come for the next visit after this and for our kids to not want him here for the next visit since his punishment is stopping everyone from having the fun extras of vacation time. DH and I won't stop his visits. But, we're not sure we're going to spend any time trying to smooth anything over between the kids this time. We think SS needs to see that it was his actions that led to a disappointing holiday for all of us while we scrambled to catch up on his schoolwork and how we couldn't reward the lies, and we need to let our kids "let it out" to him if they want to tell him how frustrated it's made them to deal with the consequences me and dad had to hand down to him.

Okay I'm done. Anyone out there to chime in on this?? Have you been in my shoes? Hindsights 20/20. Merry Christmas.

Comments (12)