Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Totally not a SF issue....

Posted by lovehadley (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 26, 08 at 21:43

I'm just needing some reassurance/good thoughts/prayers.

I have had a cyst in my breast for over a year now. It would get bigger with my menstrual cycle, and then smaller, but never went away completely.

I had it checked out by my gyn. last March and he felt it and said it was soft and round and moveable, and it was a cyst---nothing to worry about.

Well, about a month ago, it seemed to go away overnight. But in its place is a hard, firm little lump. It feels very different.

So I went to the doctor (GP) and he was pretty reassuring--he said he really thinks it's just fibrocystic stuff going on, that I had a lot of swollen glands in that both breasts---my period is almost ready to start. He said he thinks it is nothing, BUT to be on the safe side, he is sending me for a diagnostic mammogram and possibly an ultrasound on Tuesday.

So now I am a bundle of nerves! I'm scared and nervous and slightly obsessive. I keep googling all this stuff and it's just not good....I can diagnose myself with ANYTHING with google, kwim? I need to not google any symptoms!

I am only 28, no familiy history of breast cancer, I'm not on the pill, etc. So no risk factors.

I'm trying to take my mind off it until Tues. but easier said than done.

Oh, and DH and I are getting ready to begin our fertility treatments. We are doing IUI for 3 months, and I SO want to be excited about that and focus on that instead, but I can't.

WAAAHHHH. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Totally not a SF issue....

I had a pretty similar thing happen to me. And everything was fine. After the ultrasound, the doc told me not to check for lumps until 1 week after my period.

Its very scary and nerve wracking, but its for the best to get everything checked out as soon as possible.

I did the google thing too and it really scared the sh!t out of me. Just stop that right now! LOL. It is all just preventive measures.

o

lovehadley

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with something like this. I would be scared too....You've reminded me that I'm over due for my annual ti_ _ ie squish! My thoughts are with you.

o

I would have a needle aspiration biopsy done on it just to rule out any possiblility...I'M NOT TRYING TO SCARE YOU...but, when I was 39, I found a hard little BB sized lump in my breast. I had a mammogram which the Dr. said he thought it was just an enlarged lymph node and said just wait. Well, I waited for 4 months and I don't know what made me do it but I went and had the needle biopsy done..the whole time the dr. doing the procedure was saying it was nothing. Well, it was Something..I had breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy and radiation over the course of seven months. It has been 12 yrs. and still everything is fine. So don't take anything for granted no matter what the Doc says...

o

your post reminded me that it is time for my annual mammogram. i completely forgot that I got a referal from my gyn like a month ago and still never called to schedule appt.
good luck on tuesday, but listen don't google anything. i am convinced i am dying every time i google somehting. until you have any kind of decent diagnosis do not google anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here