SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gayle610_gw

The forgotten stepchild.

gayle610
15 years ago

I am new to this forum and hope that I will receive some much needed advice. My husband and I have been married for 26 years. He has two children from a first marriage, I have one child from a first marriage and together we have one child. My husband's brother, a 60 year old bachelor, and very close to my husband, just announced that he intends to leave his assets to his niece and nephews when he passes away. They include his sister's son, my husband's two children from his 1st marriage, and our son together. He has excluded my daughter from my first marriage. I realize she is not "blood" to him, but we have been together as a family for 26 years. She was a young child when we married and I thought we all were a big, happy family. When my husband questioned his brother as to why she was excluded she responded that she wasn't really part of the family.

Please don't think it's the lack of money she will someday inherit, it's the fact that he feels that since she wasn't born into the family she therefore isn't a "true" family member. This has hurt me terribly. I don't want to be around someone who doesn't consider me or my daughter an equal family member because I'm not blood related. I can't welcome him in my home and be loving and gracious when I now realize he considers me and my daughter second class. What do I do? MJy husband agrees with me and feels that his brother has made a big mistake but doesn't know what to do. (His brother is not willing to change his decision.)

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how to continue a loving family relationship with him when I am obviously not a loved family member? Thanks for any help.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer