SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lhfish_gw

Daughter & Step-Father Disrespect

LHFish
12 years ago

I guess my message could go in to different forums, but here it is. My daughter has recently turned 13. She and my husband, her Step-father of 2 years are having issues. I am having so much trouble with her disrespecting him. I know some of this is her age, and some is because of the step relationship. I reprimand her when she is disrespectful, but do not always see it. The biggest problem is that sometimes I feel like my husband doesn't even like my daughter. There are many times when he believes she is being disrespectful and I feel like she isn't. Sometimes when she is joking, he says it's disrespectful. He also never seems to give her positive reinforcement when it is clear that she is making an effort to be better. I feel at such a loss. I have 2 other children that are never disrespectful. This is my first girl and I have not dealt with this type of disrespect before. I feel like I am struggling between the two of them. I know there must be ramifications for her actions, but what do I do when I feel he is wrong? He is 11 years older than me and all of his children are grown. Could it also be that he is less tolerant as he has gotten older? It feels like he doesn't remember ever being a child / teenager himself. Maybe I am rambling... I am just sick about what's going on and so confused. I don't want to lose my relationship with my daughter or my husband.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor