SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauren102

potential step son's bad behavior is ruining our relationship

lauren102
14 years ago

I have been dating a single divorced dad for about 6 months now. He has primary custody of his son who is 5. I have no problem with the fact that he is divorced or that he has a child, but what bothers me is how he more or less doesnÂt parent his child. The little boy constantly throws fits if he doesnÂt get what he wants, and it is starting to put a strain on our relationship. We cannot do anything in public because his son will act up and throw tantrums. I was raised in a household where we knew better then to scream and cry because we werenÂt allowed candy at bedtime, and it blows my mind how the 5 year old runs his household. It has also now gotten to the point that every single night he lays with his son until he goes to bed. By the time he comes to bed with me, I am exhausted and completely disinterested in doing anything physical with him because I have been listening to his son cry about wanting to watch a movie, or have a snack, and his dad allowing him to do exactly what he wants. It is putting a huge strain between us because we do not see eye to eye about it. I havenÂt said much to him about how he parents because I feel like I really shouldnÂt get a say in it, but I have mentioned that he needs to start watching how he treats his son because it is only going to get worse, in terms of the tantrums, and the getting everything he wants. I guess the advice I am looking for is if there really is any safe way to talk to him about this, or if I really should just end this relationship now. With how things are right now, I donÂt know how much more I can really take.

Comments (3)