SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forwhenitrains

Don't like my mom's new husband

forwhenitrains
14 years ago

HI,I have never posted here before and I don't really have a question,so much as I'm not sure how to handle a situation and maybe want some opinions.

I'm 31,been married a while, with one kid and one step kid.

My mom is in her 50's and just ended her third marriage.While I really miss my step dad,and I will always consider him my dad,I can understand the need to end it as they fought all the time and had issues.

However,my mom kind of married another guy pretty quickly and I'm having a hard time accepting him.First of all,he has been in jail and has a drug problem,so I don't trust him because of that.

He also seems to be real pushy and it's annoying.Meaning,he will call me to talk about what is going on in our family and give me updates like my mom will call me later.If she will call me later,I don't need him to tell me that.I know that doesn't sound like much,but I'm not a phone person and it took me a while before I felt like talking to my other step dad that I knew for years on the phone,let alone this guy that I don't know.

I told my mom to stop pushing him on me,that she can't make a family happen,that I didn't want him calling me.It worked for a little while,but he has called a few times the past week.My husband flat out refuses to talk to him and even hung up on him once.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm being too hard on him.But since he is my third step father,I'm reluctant to look at him as a "father",period.First of all,I'm in my thirties so I don't need active parenting,and even if I did,I'd be hesitant to follow any of his advice.He has Four kids and none of them even talk to him because of his drug and jail problems.

Any thoughts?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations