Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tone of voice!

Posted by sam1234 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 24, 08 at 16:21

My husband (not BF) helps discipline my 9 yr. old son. BUT, sometimes the tone of voice he uses just sends me over the edge. It's very high pitched and loud. (He tells me that there is NO SUCH thing as "tone of voice".) For example: He started yesterday with this "tone" telling my son, "When you get these toys out you need to put them back. My son responded in the same tone that hubby had, with "I WILL". Then all hell broke loose, hubby says: stop screaming at me, my son says: stop screaming at ME. I totally agree with what hubby was saying to son, but when he uses this tone, I get instantly ILL. Any suggestions??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tone of voice!

When my son's reply with an inappropriate tone of voice or word choice (valid message - said rudely), I simply tell them "That didn't come out right. Please say it again in a nicer voice." -- and give them a meaningful enough look until they comply.

With your husband, he certainly heard the 'tone' when your son said it. I'd tell him privately that he sometimes uses that same tone and it's no pleasanter for you than it was for him.

o

Maybe you could record him, without his knowing, and then play it back later, so that he can hear himself talking.

Somtimes it has to hit you in the face before you see it coming.

o

If he still doesn't believe you after telling him what sweeby said....video tape him. Unless you think that is it too over the top.

o

Its not what you say it how you say it!!!

o

thank you guys so much, it just totally blew me out of the water when he said there's no such thing. How could he say that? you can even say to a dog, "i love you" in two totally different tones and it re-act differently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here