SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serenity_now_2007

My Dad

serenity_now_2007
15 years ago

Hi, everyone... I just want to go ahead ---while I still have a bit of clarity in me and before things inevitably get crazy--- and send out all my emails and status updates, and that includes this forum as you all have become a very real part of my daily life even if this is a "virtual" setting...

Anyway, here's the deal. My Dad's lung cancer has taken a very sudden turn for the worst. I've bee told by his doctor that they've decided to take him off all treatments and we are now in the stage where it's just about "keeping him comfortable" and, well, waiting for him to die. (To put it bluntly.) The doctor told me straight up: "we're not even sure he'll make it through the weekend and it'll be a miracle if he makes it to Thanksgiving".

So instead of flying this morning to visit my mom & SF for the holiday, I am now at my Dad's. Left at 4:45 a.m. to catch the earliest flight I could. Have no idea how long I'll be here. My mother is flying in tomorrow night to stay at a hotel nearby. She is here to be there for ME, and I have told my Dad & SM that, and that it will be ENTIRELY up to HIM whether he wants to see her one last time while she's here, and if so, fine and if not, fine. I've made it very clear that my mother will in no way foist herself on anyone (and since she's never done anything of the sort ever, there is no reason to fear she would). If SM tries to pull any hard-core bulls**t at all ---such as denying me access to my Dad or trying to start some s**t, My Momma is there to back me up. I have never had the luxury of this kind of "back-up" in dealing with SM before ---always on her "turf"--- and I find I am really needing it now. I can already tell SM is upset by this state of affairs, but she really has nothing to be threatened by unless/until she starts some sort of crap.

Anyway, I'll try to here & there give updates, but I honestly have no idea what's coming. Just didn't want everyone to worry if I become totally MIA, like we are all somewhat worried about TOS...

Comments (42)