SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faye1980_gw

Sibling rivalry!

Faye1980
10 years ago

I am a step-mom of two boys and a BM of one boy and one girl. Before my husband of four years and I got married my two kids and i were not used to the fighting that goes on between two brothers. I realize that this is normal and that brothers can be extremely competative. However, my two step-sons seem to be at odds ALL THE TIME. They are constantly arguing, contradicting each-other, trying to one-up each-other and prove each-other wrong. It doesn't seem to matter what it is about. It can be over some of the most primitive issues. Their behavior has ruined many family outings and can make the atmosphere very tense. Don't get me wrong, my son isn't perfect either. I know he can be in the middle of it sometimes but for the most part it is the other two. I have a problem dealing with them sometimes because I feel that by focusing on only their behavior they feel I'm singling them out all the time( being the wicked step-mom). But the truth of the matter is that it is usually them. My husband realizes it too. he however feels that it's just normal brotherly behavior. I'm concerned for my son who has to be around this NEGATIVITY all the time. He loves his brothers and wants to be around them. How do I deal with them without them feeling singled out? How do I allow my son to be around them without the fear of him turning out to be a negative and mean spirited child like they tend to be a lot?

Comments (8)