SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
norcalgirl00

Finding a private place ... in a small space

norcalgirl78
15 years ago

Just wondering if I could get some feedback, ideas, opinions, etc. on my topic.

I live with my BF39in a small apartment that is set up with kind of a circular floor pattern where every room connects to the next. His DD9 and DD5 are coming to visit for five days starting tomorrow, and although I adore them and enjoy them very much, I struggle with feeling invaded when they visit and not having an "adult" and private place to myself. I am childless and 30.

It is not so much that I want to go away from them and be alone, but more that I want our bedroom to be respected as our place and not a playroom. But since the laundry machines, walk-in closet, and one of the two bathroom doors as well as a door to the living room are part of our bedroom, sometimes it seems too restrictive and I feel silly making the place off-limits.

Thanksgiving is in a couple of days and we are going to have about 10 people over including several children. I can imagine the room being run through and scrutinized more than I would like and it makes me very uncomfortable.

What can I do? Is it fair to make it a private place when there isn't much space leftover? Or should it just be off-limits when I'm not in there? Sometimes I feel like "another one of the kids" because I don't have much experience w/ kids and wonder if really what I am doing is looking for a way to assert myself. I feel like if I were (a) older and more established or (b) living in a bigger place, them being in my room would be out of the question but because the place is so small and the layout is what it is, that I should just go along.

Comments (13)