SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amber3902

We Broke Up

Amber3902
12 years ago

I've been doing some thinking about it and realized that in the past six months I've spent a lot of time on this forum and others talking and stressing over issues with BF and his son.

I think of how each time BF would mention something about the ex MIL and it would twist my stomach up in knots. I would worry she would do something stupid again like calling DSS on BM - that would cause BF to get custody of his son, and how deep down inside I really didn't want that to happen.

I think of the arguments BF and I have had and how many of them have been about his son. In other words, thanks to BF's issues with his son and exMIL, there has been a lot of unnecessary drama in this relationship.

So this past Saturday I went over and talked to him. I told him that while we've both tried hard to compromise and work things out, it's obvious this relationship is not going to work. I said basically there were three main issues, 1. the arguments about his son, 2. the fact that I don't spend enough time with him, and 3. his tax issue.

The arguments about his son are basically that he does not want to handle issues with his son. I told him I can handle his son, I can handle my D6, but I can't handle the two of them together. I told him I can't take on a third child.

In addition, my D13 is having issues, I think she has autism and I'm fighting with the school system to get her help for that. She's 13 years old, she's not getting any younger. She's already wanting to hang out with her friends and not me so I need to spend as much time with her now as I can. Plus I'm going to school two nights a week, with all that's going on in my life I just don't have the time he wants/needs from a GF.

And then there's the tax issue. He owes $70,000 in taxes because he has always worked for himself and has never filed a tax return. Last year he did get a job with a contractor however, he made a few big mistakes and the contractor said he was too much of a liability for him and let him go. The contractor still had work he wanted to sub contract to him, but did not want to carry BF on his workman's comp insurance anymore. He also wanted to file a 1099 on him. BF is so paranoid that the IRS is going to seize any funds he has in a bank account, he asked me to put the workman's comp in my name and allow the contractor to put the checks in my name so I can cash them for him. BF has helped me out a lot in the past, plus he said he would set aside some of the money to pay back any taxes that were owed next year. So I agreed to help him out. The contractor writes the checks out payable to me, I cash them and give the cash to BF.

It is getting to the end of the year, and I'm adding up all the money that this contractor has subbed to my BF, and it comes to about $7,500. Now he says this money will be taxed at 25%, so that means at the end of the year I will owe about $1,875 in taxes.

As far as setting aside money to pay the taxes, BF has been keeping money in my savings account to pay for that, but something always comes up and right now all we have is $400 in savings to pay any taxes owed. Basically the economy is still bad right now for construction and home repair, so my BF has not gotten a lot of work. He could get a regular job but he doesn't want to because he's afraid the IRS will garnish his wages.

But I can't let that concern me. I told BF I would continue the insurance under my name until the end of the year and after that he would have to figure something else out.

I keep saying the one thing we don't agree on is issues with BF's son. But someone on other forum said something that got me thinking. She said while we may agree on 9 out of 10 things, if the one thing we don't agree on is a big issue, the relationship still won't work. And our parenting styles are just too different.

So right now I'm a little hurt and sad, but I don't regret the relationship. Each experience is a learning experience for me. Now I know next time I meet a guy if he has kids I won't wait a long time to meet the kids. I know most people say wait a while before introducing the kids, but I think that is wrong. Basically what happens is you develop feelings for the man and then you say, hey let's introduce the kids. You meet the kids and realize that he's either a Disney land dad, or his kids are spoiled and misbehaved. But by that time it's too late, you've already fallen in love with the father, and want the relationship to work so you try to stick it out.

But if you meet the kids before you have developed any strong feelings for the father, you can view the situation more rationally. Because emotions are not clouding your thinking, you can view the situation more logically and make a better decision as to whether or not you feel the relationship will work or not.

I'd like to thank the ladies on this forum for all their help and advice, you have helped me so much! I'd like to pop in here from time to time and post whenever I can. While I'm certainly not as experienced as many of you are in step family matters, I can still lend moral support and a virtual shoulder to cry on. Because I sure could use a shoulder to cry on myself right now. :(

Comments (21)