SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovehadley

How do you do holidays?

lovehadley
15 years ago

I'm just wondering what different holiday schedules people have with SKs. How do you share the holidays? Do you share holidays?

DH and BM don't have anything legal regarding holidays. The GAL left that up to their discretion?

They have always worked those pretty well, though. This is what they have always done:

HALLOWEEN--whoever's day it is gets SS SECOND. For example, this year, it fell on our day. So BM picked him up from school, took him trick or treating from 5-6 and then DH picked him up, and we went trick or treating around 7 pm.

THANKSGIVING--BM ALWAYS gets him first. Her family eats around noon. DH, my DD and I eat with my dad's side around 1 pm and SS never goes to that. Then we pick him up and head to my mom's side for dinner at 5pm. (This is also because Thursday is DH's day all the time.)

CHRISTMAS--BM always gets him Christmas Eve/Christmas morning. DH picks him up around 11 AM on Christmas Day. I've asked DH if he would consider switching (personally, I LOVE the magical feeling of Christmas Eve and wish we could experience that with BOTH of our kids just once....but DH likes Christmas Day better.)

FOURTH OF JULY is just whoever has him.

BIRTHDAY is whoever has him. If he's with BM on his actual birthday, we just celebrate a couple days early or late. Same goes for BM if he is with us.

This will all stay like this until SS is old enough to voice an opinion. He has never complained, though, seems perfectly fine with the way things are. Probably because he has done this as long as he's known.

I do feel for him, though--my parents are divorced and I personally find it stressful having to split holidays down the middle! :( But I WANT to see both my parents on every holiday...so what can you do?

Comments (8)