SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovehadley

Halloween & other musings

lovehadley
14 years ago

We had a great time! I am absolutely loving the new holiday schedule that's in the parenting plan.

From the time SS was 2 until just this past summer, DH & BM split ALL the holidays 50-50. And by split, I mean, he would be with BM for a couple hrs and then DH for a couple hrs. On Halloweens in the past, whoever's "day" it has been had SS second. So, last yr, for example, it was DH's day, so BM had SS first from about 5-7 pm. Then DH picked him up and brought him home and we trick or treated around 7:30 pm. But the crappy thing was, by that point, SS was always tired of trick or treating and not much into it the second go around.

In other yrs, we've had him first and had to rush, rush through trick or treating so he has time to get to BM's.

It makes it NO FUN for anyone, really---not DH, not BM, not me, not DD, and mostly, not SS!

What was really interesting this year was the fact that SS just had a total blast! For the first time ever, he was able to relax and just ENJOY the night. And it was SO wonderful for DH to not have to leave the festivities in the middle to either take SS to BM's or go pick him up.

There is so much to be said for SS being able to be present in the moment. He was 100% last night and it was just fabulous--we went to a party w/friends from DD's school. There were 8 kids, 10 adults, and we had a blast, trick or treating, eating yummy food, and sitting around the firepit. LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

SS will be with BM for Thanksgiving this year, which will different for us, as we usually ALWAYS get him from 3 pm on. But you know---I think it will be BETTER. It might be a little sad this year without seeing SS at all on turkey-day, but at the same time, that means HE will have a good time at his mom's, and be able to enjoy it with her/that side of his family. And NEXT YEAR it will be our turn for Thanksgiving.

It's just nice to see things working out well.

How was everyone's Halloween? What did you all do?

Comments (5)