Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remember...we're all different

Posted by cindy_pond (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 18, 08 at 9:47

After reading many many posts and seeing the post from ceph and seeing the pictures, it made me realize what different places we're all coming from. I am 52 years old and have had many years of step parenting. As I said in a previous post, I don't approach life the same as I did when I was 22, 32 or even 42. So the point of this is, we are all in different phases of this life with unique and not so unique experiences. We all come from our family of origin equipped with whatever they had to give us. When we give "advice", we might want to remember that the person posting may be young and new to all of this. Or, not in a place right now to "suck it up" or "make lemonade" or whatever we think is the mature thing to do. denying authentic feelings, even the negative ones, just prolongs the growth. We have to own our experiences and feelings and then growth and maturity can come. I am never too old to hear solid sage compassionate advice from women who share this common thread with me...thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remember...we're all different

cindy pond,

I think that what you have said is so important. I am 49 and like you have had years of step parenting. I've had years as a single mother. The past is a great influence. Some times it is a blessing, other times not so much. I think that age makes such a difference in how you look at things. Some times it is great to have the fresh perspective of the younger woman. The younger woman can some times benefit from the experience of a so called "seasoned" woman as well. The thing to remember in dealing with all of these issues IMHO, is to deal with them using honest, healthy emotions. We all need to be reminded of that at times. Thank you for posting this threat. I appreciate your insight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here